Contribute
Register

VirtualSMC now supports Z370, Z390, & X299 Fan RPM and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll open her up later today and check, but AIDA64 under Win10 reports the IT8688E and IT8795E. A Tweaktown review also confirms those two chips.

FWIW, I'm also running iMac19,1 and Mojave 10.14.4 18E2034.

Adding the efi didn't change the result. I didn't have SMCHelper.

Try the new ones on page 1

Last edited:
Try these and let me know.

• iStat Menu- no fans, but additional CPU info
  • HWMonitor (from FakeSMC)- no fans, but some additional CPU power consumption data, not all populated.
  • HWMonitorSMC and HWMonitorSMC2 (from HWSensors-3)- Shows fans
  • TG Pro- shows additional CPU temps; shows Fans, but still has Fan Min/Max as -1/-1.

• iStat Menu- no fans, but additional CPU info
  • HWMonitor (from FakeSMC)- no fans, but some additional CPU power consumption data, not all populated.
  • HWMonitorSMC and HWMonitorSMC2 (from HWSensors-3)- Shows fans
  • TG Pro- shows additional CPU temps; shows Fans, but still has Fan Min/Max as -1/-1.

Interesting, they recommend iStat but I also get better results with HWMonitorSMC and HWMonitorSMC2. IS there accurate RPM info in HWMonitorSMC and HWMonitorSMC2?

Thank you for the thorough testing.

Interesting, they recommend iStat but I also get better results with HWMonitorSMC and HWMonitorSMC2. IS there accurate RPM info in HWMonitorSMC and HWMonitorSMC2?

Thank you for the thorough testing.
Thanks for your efforts.

Reported fan RPM seems accurate. It'll speed up under load and my missing fan shows up as 0 RPM.

Thanks for your efforts.

Reported fan RPM seems accurate. It'll speed up under load and my missing fan shows up as 0 RPM.

Updated files on page 1. I added more sensors and fixed the boot error. Be sure to remove SMCHelper-64.efi and VirtualSmc-64.efi from EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and replace with the included VirtualSmc.efi. If you have any issues, reset your NVRAM.

I am getting the best results using HWMonitorSMC2, others don't seem to work properly.

Last edited:
Just bringing the thread up to date:

Glad it worked! I am a little disappointed we can't get individual core frequencies and a have the kind of flexibility FakeSMC has in configuring HWMonitorSMC2.

Great idea on the graphics cards but I'm not sure I have the chops to add them and I think the IGPU depends on Intel Power Gadget APIs. I will certainly take a look though!

I don't see as single Graphics card in your list, did you install Intel Power Gadgets and configure HWMonitorSMC2 to use them? Here is what I get:

View attachment 397953
1.) To also display CPU frequencies and core ratios might require just a few lines of additional coding. I guess one could easily implement the latter based on @interferenc's modifications in CPUSensor.cpp of the original Kozlek FakeSMC/HWSensor source code distribution. See my post #21 . You could ask @VIT9696 to do so.

2.) Concerning the missing GPU information you mean this? I have IPG installed and now also checked IPG in the HWMonitorSMC2 settings. Do I also need to check "Use the IOAccelerator's monitoring for GPUs" to see the respective AMD and Nvidia GPU information, which is still missing in case of the water blocked Nitro+ RX Vega 64 that I am still employing on my X299 system?

View attachment 397954

View attachment 397955

Once the above is clarified, I would like to verify the current Virtual SMC and HWSensor distribution also on my X99 system with the air flow Radeon VII. It would be important to see if the primer also supports X99 and Broadwell-E/Haswell-E HWSensor information. But later, by chance I woke up at 6 am this Sunday morning and it is still just 8 am, when writing the above. X99 and Broadwell-E/Haswell-E needs to be discussed in the respective X99 thread in any case.
@ModMike,

Perfect! After checking/enabling "Intel Power Gadget" and "Use the IOAccelerator's monitoring for GPUs" in the HWMonitorSMC2 settings, there is now also the entire water blocked Nitro+ RX Vega 64 GPU information in HWMonitorSMC2 (Total Power info seems wrong though):

View attachment 397966

Of course, with the above solution no GPU Temps with iStatMenus though:

View attachment 397967
@ModMike,

and here are first brief results obtained with the above VirtualSMC and HWSensor distribution on my ASUS X99-A, i7-6950X, airflow Radeon VII system:

View attachment 397970

1.) No i7-6950X CPU core temps at all
2.) Wrong Total Power, Temperature, Fan Speed and Activity values for the air flow Radeon VII
3.) Everything else as described and discussed in case of ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G, i9-7980XE and Nitro+ RX Vega 64 above.

Will try to find some more sleep now.. ;)

Cheers,

KGP

@kgp I see you are using an older version of HWMonitorSMC2, I have different options in mine. I attached the latest build to the first post.

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
Well you know that for good personal reason I am still using so far iStat Menus and my own slightly modified version of the Kozlek/Interferenc FakeSMC/HWSensor distribution. If you look to the very first replies in the IM VirtualSMC thread you will see that I tried to push some HWSensor development for VirtualSMC basically from the very beginning, although without receiving any really fruitful response.

I therefore certainly appreciate and herewith once more emphasise my personal interested in your current endeavour, which finally points towards this direction, moreover as I would never change myself to VirtualSMC (even after considering all other certain advantages of VirtualSMC over FakeSMC) by losing all important sensor information we gathered already quite some time ago with iStat Menus and the Kozlek/Interferenc FakeSMC/HWSensor distribution under extensive personal efforts of all significant contributors.

For our current VirtualSMC/HWSensor testing purposes and in line with your above recommendation, I changed now to the same HWMonitorSMC2 version and I am also now using exactly the same HWMonitorSMC2 settings, unfortunately without any further improvements. All my remarks outlined before are therefore still valid also with the recent version of the HWMonitorSMC2 application and also with respect to iStatMenus in any case. The good news anyway are, that especially your fan speed sensor implementation works absolutely flawless with both HWMonitorSMC2 and iStat Menus and also for both X299 and X99 platforms. ;)

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back