Graphics
AMD 7970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am running 10.7.4 on my Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5 machine with an i7 K2600 3.4 GHz processor without any significant problem. However, when I try to use either Fusion or Parallels, the performance of the virtual machine is glacial. Yet Virtual Box works reasonably well, although not as good as it should. I have tried every combination of BIOS settings and application settings without success. There is something special about Fusion and Parallels that is not tripping up Virtual Box. Any suggestions? I would rather use the commercial products for various reasons. Only one VM program is installed at any time to avoid conflicts. :?:

No overclocking. Latest appropriate Multibeast drivers, DSDT and SSDT files installed.

Manic Harmonic said:
I believe that only applies to overclocked cpus. That's why i asked, because i had the same issue and had to downgrade chimera. Do you have graphics enabler set to yes?

I am not over clocked. Yes, GraphicsEnabler in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist is set to Yes. I am not sure if it is needed since I am actually using a genuine Apple ATI 5870 card but since I have not had any problems, I have not altered it. Could this have anything to do with Fusion or Parallels running so poorly?

There is a newer version of Chimera (1.10.0) but I have not installed it. Not sure where to get an older version of Chimera.

Thanks for all the responses!

I can open a Windows XP or 7 virtual machine for either Fusion or Parallels (VM copied from a Mac Pro and fresh installs) but the overall speed is exceedingly slow and unusable. Booting can take up to 10 minutes. I cannot select a menu without a 50 second delay. I had to go to Virtual Box, which does run OK, not great, but usable. Most people do not have this issue, so I am stumped. The only unusual component of my system is the genuine Apple 5870 graphics card, which I thought would make the system more stable and trouble-free. My 64-bit Geekbench scores are not as high as most (usually around 10,500) but the system otherwise runs fine. My main drive is an OWC Mercury Pro SSD, so disk speed is not the issue. I have 16 GB RAM, so there is plenty of memory (but not too much allocated to a VM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back