Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

Been lurking around the forum for quite some time, about to start my journey tomorrow.

Can you please comment on the following Rig?

MOBO: Gigabyte-Z68XP-UD3
CPU: i7-2700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Kit 1600MHz
GPU: XFX HD6850 1GB DDR5
SSD: Intel 520 series 180GB
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB Green 64 MB Sata 3
Wireless Card: TP-LINK DualB PCI 450MB TL WDN4800
PSU: SEASONIC M1211-MODULAR 620W

also, can anyone please help with the following questions?

1) For RAM, is it advisable to get 2X8GB or 4X4GB for total of 16GB?
2) I plan to dual boot Windows and Mac, and install Mac on SSD and Win on HDD. Question is, while i am storing Mac OS on SSD, can i store files and data for Win and Mac both on HDD?
E.g.
SSD: Mac OSX
HDD: 200GB - Win 7 OS, 400GB: Mac Data, 400GB: Win 7 Data
Will there be a problem for this arrangement?

I am brand new to this too and just started putting my first one together recently. I too used a Gigabyte z68 board that tonymac had a DSDT for. So far I believe most things work except bluetooth. I have the same wifi card as you. It works instantly after plugging it in without doing anything special. I haven't tried a dedicated graphics card though (just using the Intel graphics that are on the CPU).

Good luck!
:D

watchy said:
Hi Guys,

Been lurking around the forum for quite some time, about to start my journey tomorrow.

2) I plan to dual boot Windows and Mac, and install Mac on SSD and Win on HDD. Question is, while i am storing Mac OS on SSD, can i store files and data for Win and Mac both on HDD?
E.g.

1 - depends on what you are going to do with your machine...are you going to be using programs that allow for 24 or 32gb or ram? Then get 2x8gb. If you only need 16gb, get 4x4gb. Personally, I'd get the 2x8gb so you have the option down the road.

2 - I have many drives in my build. I use MacDrive 8 to be able to use data from any drive on either OS.

Also, I feel like I vaguely recall people saying that the 'green' drives are crap. Maybe that was only advised against using them as boot drives.

watchy said:
Hi Guys,

E.g.

1) No difference. If you wish to (or have the option of) add more RAM in the future, then opt for 2 x 8GB.
2) Of course you can.

Sasquatch00 said:
1 - depends on what you are going to do with your machine...are you going to be using programs that allow for 24 or 32gb or ram? Then get 2x8gb. If you only need 16gb, get 4x4gb. Personally, I'd get the 2x8gb so you have the option down the road.

2 - I have many drives in my build. I use MacDrive 8 to be able to use data from any drive on either OS.

Also, I feel like I vaguely recall people saying that the 'green' drives are crap. Maybe that was only advised against using them as boot drives.

Thanks Sasquatch, reserving the option down the road is what i have in mind too....
I just wanted to find out if there's any incompatibility with 8GB stick, looks like there won't be any issue.

Jamesbond007 said:
1) No difference. If you wish to (or have the option of) add more RAM in the future, then opt for 2 x 8GB.
2) Of course you can.

Thanks Mr Bond... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back