Contribute
Register

Video editing hackintosh for ~$1300 questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DanWayFilms said:
First post here!

I'm looking to build a video editing hackintosh as well, with heavy emphasis on Premiere and After Effects with good 3D app support.

I would like to mention, that although Premiere can "natively" edit MP4/H.264 it is still incredibly taxing on the CPU, so finding a codec that is more uncompressed will be much easier to edit. If you have Final Cut, then you can use ProRes.

I wouldn't blame you for sticking to the AVCHD codec though, cus ProRes takes up so much space!

Well, I just like mp4 because I can play it easily/upload to youtube/etc, but I have to convert footage from .mts to something else using handbrake, so I have quite a few options for footage. Since I don't think I can use ProRes, what would you recommend? .mov?

- Yamar

(Also bought a mouse for the computer, the Cybborg R.A.T. 7)

You could try out DVCPro.

.h264 as .mp4 are intended to be delivery formats because of their small size and highly compressed. This makes them bad for editing however.

Also, .mov is a container (like .mp4), not a codec. ProRes/DVCPRo is the codec wrapped in a .mov container. So a .mov could be any number of video codecs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back