Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA UD3R
CPU
W3680
Graphics
GTX465
Hi Ok So I am looking at building up a MacPro setup as big as I can (within reason)
Here is what I am thinking of purchasing...

Price (Supplier) Componant
$219 (MSY) Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 PCI-Ex16 SATAII SATA3 USB3.0 RAID GLAN ATX
$300 (Amazon) MSI N465GTX Twin Frozr II Golden Edition Graphics Card (ordered and paid for)
$100 (Amazon) Corsair Hydro Series H70 High Performance CPU Cooler CWCH70 (ordered and paid for)
$298 (eBay) 2 x Seagate Momentus XT 2.5 500GB SATA 2 SSD Hybrid 7200RPM (ordered and paid for)
$39 (eBay) Final Cut Overlay Key Cover for Full size Keyboard (ordered and paid for)
$69 (Apple) Apple USB Full size Keyboard (ordered and paid for)
$800 (eBay) Intel i7 980x
$290 (eBay) Kingston HyperX 12GB KHX2000C9D3K 2000MHz Elpida + fan
$113 (MSY) Samsung SATA3 2T
$105 (MSY) SATA Blu-Ray Writer LG
$118 (MSY) ANTEC 902 Case
$55 (eBay) Magic Mouse
$22 (eBay) D-Link DBT-120 USB 2.0 Bluetooth Wireless Adapter
$2528 Total cost
I need to get a PSU what size do you recommend? I also changed the RAM .. .What do you think of that one then?

Do I need to be careful and make sure some things are a certain version/revision?
I would like to Overclock the CPU and the Video card I plan to firmware flash to the GTX470 and then Overclock.

Like everyone I would like this to be a very stable computer.....

Should things like printers /scanners / video cameras / still cameras etc be able to connect to this computer.... (I have a MacBook Pro and I figure if it can connect to the MacBook Pro then I would expect it to connect to the Hackint0sh.

Thank you everyone in advance for your feedback. Once I receive confirmation about the hardware I will purchase and setup and post back any results.

Regards
Haydn
Brisbane Australia

Lot's of great hardware there.

I like MSi products in general but their MoBos are not well supported in the community.

I'd recommend going with a Gigabyte board instead because they are better supported here. There is no DSDT available in the DBase for your MSi Board.

GA-X58A-UD5, UD7, or UD9 are all supported.

GTX-465 flashed to 470 will work. I'v seen it done with exactly the card you have listed here.

i7-970 - Great choice.

I'd go with Kingston 2250 Memory kit. I have some and it overclocks so nicely. Makes it supper easy to push to BCLK 200.

Hope that helps. Have fun

Ty

"I'd go with Kingston 2250 Memory kit. I have some and it overclocks so nicely. Makes it supper easy to push to BCLK 200"

Can you send a link to this memory ?
Also what is BCLK200?

Which of the GA boards is newer/ better? USB3 SATA III 6GB etc?
Thanks for the reply.
Haydn

All of the boards mentioned have USB3/SATA3. The UD5 has been around the longest and has the best support. The other have different added options like additional PCi-E slots... That's just up to your preference. The UD5 has the most DSDT options available. It might be the best choice.

kingston 2250 ram kit
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... EIQ8wIwAA#

BCLK is Base Clock. On modern boards it is the main controler of bus speed. Standard speed on stock boards is 133. You can overclock your cpu with BCLK 133 and CPU close to 4Ghz but is you push the baseclock to 200, RAM at 2000 and cpu at 4Ghz your Processor Interconnect Speed get a push to 7.2 GT/s which is really fast.
There is lots of great info on OC of X58 boards here
http://i4memory.com/f55/intel-core-i7-9 ... x58-13051/
and in this forum. With lots of info about the CPU you are buying.

Ty

To understand BCLK better read the post above I mentioned and as an experiment

Run your new system at stock speeds with ram at 1333 and CPU at say 2.93 or 3.33Ghz and run some benches like GeekBench.

then try just pushing base clock to 160

Leave RAM at 1333 and CPU at the same speed as it was in the first test. Run your benchmarks again. You'll start to see what a different that one change can make.

Just increasing Baseclock also increases bus speed over SATA so you will also a noticeable increase in disk transfer speed.

Next time I do a restart I'll grab a screen cap of my bios settings to give you a better idea.

Keep in mind pushing baseclock will increase voltages and heat. The cooler you are buying is sufficient for these tests though.

Some of the guys on i4Mem have pushed your CPU to 5Ghz and above. Using significant cooling, of coarse.

TY

@3tybagig: Great advice and good links. I completely agree.

@TBuTcher:

I use Final Cut Studio 3 (Final Cut Pro 7), as well as Avid, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the CS5 Master Collection. Here is what I'm running:

i7-930
Prolimatech Megahalems Heatsink w/ 120mmx25mm Gelid Fan (Nearly silent)
Gigabyte X58a UD3r (1.0)
6GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
Geforce 9800GTX+ 512MB DDR3
Western Digital Black 640GB HDD (OS and Final Cut)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD (Data and Scratch)

I have no trouble doing anything I want to in Final Cut and I rarely have excessive render times. I do wish I had purchased an SSD (and obviously I would like to upgrade my GPU).

So here are my recommended changes:

1.Add a high performance SSD with very efficient garbage collection
2.If you're spending much more for 1600Mhz RAM vs 1333, I would buy the lower speed. The speed difference at that point is really negligible in most real world applications, and the saved money would be better spend on faster storage.
3.The i7-970 is nice, but if you really want incredible six core performance then spend the extra $100 for the i7-980x especially since you are planning to overclock. The 980x is much more overclocking friendly and has greater stock performance. If you were saving $400 or so then the difference might be worth it, but considering the mile high price of the 970, I just don't think it is. If you want the best bang for your buck (and don't mind losing two cores) go for the i7 950 or i7 930 (depending on prices). Both have about the same max OCing potential and can be pushed to outperform the i7 965x (at it's stock speed). I suggest you consider whether you really need 12 simultaneous processing threads running or if a "paltry" 8 threads will do. I don't believe Final Cut will take advantage of more than 8 threads (if that) for many effects and other rendering, but either way, any of these processors will tear through video work.
4. I strongly recommend that you use a Gigabyte board for your Hackintosh. Getting a 100% working hack will be much, much easier for you and they are just as good as your MSI selection.

Hope that helps.

Ok so I have edited the initial post with some updates and changes and a couple of Questions....

Please re comment.
Thank you
Haydn

Hi. I'm new to the forums. I'm actually looking at building something similar; however, may I strongly recommend you go with the ATI 5770. Apple Color & Motion run smoother/faster on the ATI chipset. Particularly if you ever have any intention of using Apple Color, NVIDIA cards don't support 10 bit color depth, only 8 bit and "float" unless you drop the bucks for the quadro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back