Contribute
Register

Video Editing Build - Thoughts on This Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Hi,
I want to build a hackintosh build for editing video, especially 4k content (adobe after effects CC 2014). Here is what Ive come up with (let me know if this is a good combination of components, and if you see any issues or suggestions)

i7 4790
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB
Gigabyte GTX760 4GB
Samsung 850 EVO 120gb (TWO in RAID-0)
Corsair AX760
Fractal Design 1000
Corsair H60
4K Samsung U28D590D (TWO DISPLAYS)

My questions that I have:
1) will a single GTX760 4GB video card handle 2 x 4k displays? If not suggestions?
2) I want the CUDA support to work so I can utilize the processing power of the video card while editing. Is this an issue with this video card (or one you suggest... I've noticed the discussion regarding the GTX970 having issues)
3) Do you see any issues with this setup? Any difficulty with drivers, adapters, etc?
4) Is it easy and straight forward to get raid-0 working with a hackintosh and Yosemite?

No, the 760 cannot drive two 4k displays at 60hz. Maybe one at 60hz via DP and the other via hdmi 1.4 at 30hz, but you might want to get a GTX 970 or maybe even the upcoming 960Ti.

I have 32GB RAM in my build, but even during video editing, it never uses more than 16GB RAM. Maybe consider getting 16 now and 16 later if you ever need it.

I'm not sure I see much of a benefit of RAID of the OS drive for video editing. Get a 1TB SSD as a scratch drive to put all your video files in and maybe an output SSD to dump your finished encodes.

thanks for the suggestions. I had a question about the gtx 970. What is CUDA? Can I activate it with GTX 970 to be used in AE? If not, then doesnt this effectively having a powerful video card essentially useless (in respect to editing video)?

Any recommendation for 1 TB SSD as a scratch drive? Why not use a secondary HDD as a scratch disk?

CUDA cores are Nvidia's parallel compute engine that allows your graphics card to be used in parallel to your CPU for computing. So you can render a lot faster in Adobe Premiere or After Effects and not wait as long for your CPU to render what your video will look like after you apply filters.

1TB SSD...they're all pretty good when you get to the 1TB size. If you use a HDD as a scratch disk for your video files, it is limited to 170MB/s or so...Using an SSD as a scratch drive brings it up to 500MB/s or so. So if you convert your video files to ProRes to work off of, it can create the optimized media a lot faster.

What about the GTX 970?
Can I activate CUDA with GTX 970 to be used in AE? If not, then doesnt this effectively having a powerful video card essentially useless (in respect to editing video)?

All Nvidia cards GTX 660 and up support CUDA. I could be wrong, but I think the CUDA support only really kicks in for rendering. It doesn't get used during encoding. If you spend a ton of time layering effects and doing color grading or whatever, I could see it as a huge benefit. Otherwise, maybe just wait until the cheaper 960 comes out to get dual 4k display support.

Okay, so Ive changed my build. Check out the following components:

i7 4790
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB
EVGA GTX 970
Samsung 850 EVO 120gb (only 1)
Corsair AX760
Fractal Design 1000
Corsair H60
Acer B326HK (32" 4k Display - only 1)
Muskin 120gb SSD (to be used as a scratch disk)

How does this setup look? I dont image needing a huge scratch disk. Will this be a decent system to edit 4k video?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back