Contribute
Register

Video card to support 6 monitors in Lion (and hopefully ML)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3
CPU
i7-950
Graphics
HD 5770
I have seen posts about running 6 monitors (3 x 2) in SL, but none in Lion. I am about to take on a massive project that will require me to be monitoring a large number of servers while writing and testing code. I prefer to do all of this off of a single machine with a lot of monitors rather than setting up multiple machines and having to use synergy.

I have seen many places where I can get the monitors, but I am unsure of which card to get. I have no preference between ATI and NVidia, but I already have a Sapphire HD5770. Would a second HD5770 (or some other similar card) and a crossfire cable do it? The reason I have concerns that is that the 5770 did 3 monitors with no problems in SL, but I cannot seem to do more than 2 in Lion.

Thanks in advance,
Warren

That is for sandy bridge built-in graphics with an additional video card according to the specs. My machine, as you can see in my sig, is an i7-950, which is pre-sandy bridge. It also is 4 monitors, not 6.

That is for sandy bridge built-in graphics with an additional video card according to the specs. My machine, as you can see in my sig, is an i7-950, which is pre-sandy bridge. It also is 4 monitors, not 6.[/quote]
Of course, you have to buy a new mobo and CPU if you want 6 monitor.

I do not care about it being one card. Two is perfectly fine, I just want to know if another 5770 is all I need or if I need to get 2 completely different cards.

Really? That blows :( Is this a Mac-specific problem? The card came with a crossfire cable, so I have to assume it is not a limitation of the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back