Graphics
mac
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
what does the video card do in lamens terms?

The processer I'm choosing, Intel Core i7-3770k, looks like it has a video card included.

I do a lot of Video Editing and Special FX (CGI), so should I buy an additional video card?

I was looking at this one,
EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR), but don't really know what I'm looking for in a card. I really just picked this one cause it was in the middle of the price list on the compatibility list for Mac, but I can go higher in price if need be.

The motherboard I am thinking of is,
Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH)
I want the machine to be fast for video rendering and compositing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Craig

what does the video card do in lamens terms?

The processer I'm choosing, Intel Core i7-3770k, looks like it has a video card included.

I do a lot of Video Editing and Special FX (CGI), so should I buy an additional video card?

I was looking at this one,
EVGA GeForce GTX670 2048MB GDDR5 256bit, 2x Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, DP, 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR), but don't really know what I'm looking for in a card. I really just picked this one cause it was in the middle of the price list on the compatibility list for Mac, but I can go higher in price if need be.

The motherboard I am thinking of is,
Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH)
I want the machine to be fast for video rendering and compositing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Craig
The reason people buy discrete graphics cards when putting together a video editing machine is the software's ability to use the graphics card processing unit (GPU) to process the video. This takes the load off of the system CPU and ram and makes the processing go faster.
You could use the HD4000 included in the 3770K just fine without a discrete card, but you give up all that extra processing power. The result would be the same as using an iMac or Man Mini to do your video processing.

Yes, that makes since. Thank you!

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back