GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (bios F5b)
CPU
Core i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
Hey guys.

This will be my first hackingtosh. I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that I can pull this through. So far, I've decided on the following components, and I'm just missing a graphics card to go along this configuration. First of all, I hope I can make a hackingtosh out of these components (can someone confirm that I can?), Secondly, I hope some of you can recommend me a good graphics card that would make my video editing job a painless render experience. Please include in your recommendation a brand, for I'm completely lost with all these brands out there... e.g. Gigabyte, Sapphire, HIS, MSI, etc..

CPU
INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

MoBo
GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128488

RAM
4Gx4|GSKILL F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

Once I decide on a graphics card I will start to build the system. I will definitely need a good guide any newbie or amateur can follow through to make a hackingtosh out of this configuration. So if anyone can point me out to one, I would very much appreciate it.

I would also appreciate your suggestions for a graphics card, and any thoughts or comments you may have. Thanks guys!

See my signature blocks for all your needs. :D Well, most of them, anyway. :thumbup:

If the other post is to be belief, the Gigabyte P67 boards are end of life, so you may want to reconsider that unless you get a very good deal.

Anyway, with the current price for an ATI 5870 you can't go wrong with something like an XFX HD 5870. It is very very fast, and don't be fooled by thinking the 68xx series is faster and above it as it isn't ;-)

dejongj said:
If the other post is to be belief, the Gigabyte P67 boards are end of life, so you may want to reconsider that unless you get a very good deal.

Thank you, and thanks to everybody for their helpful comments. I think I will go with the XFX HD 5870. However, what do you mean by "P67 boards are end of life"? Will I break my head trying to make it work? Should I consider a different model, say the GA-H67A-UD3H-B3? or should I consider a totally different brand, like ASUS? I'm totally open to MoBo recommendations, so if you have any 1155 MoBo in mind, please let me know.

Thanks again to you all.

End of life was just a rumor that's been debunked. Ignore it.

Tertuliano said:
dejongj said:

Thank you, and thanks to everybody for their helpful comments. I think I will go with the XFX HD 5870. However, what do you mean by "P67 boards are end of life"? Will I break my head trying to make it work? Should I consider a different model, say the GA-H67A-UD3H-B3? or should I consider a totally different brand, like ASUS? I'm totally open to MoBo recommendations, so if you have any 1155 MoBo in mind, please let me know.

Thanks again to you all.

Avoid H67, you can't overclock with that chipset :¬)

I would personally go with Asus for a motherboard (I've tried Asus, MSI (GD65) and GB (UD4)). Two reasons. Firstly, it's the only brand that gives you full overclocking with multiplier, and secondly, the BIOS/UEFI is just fantastic.

Many people here have had very easy success with the P8P67 Pro. You can use Andy's CD too which is tailored specifically for that board. Very handy :¬)

Yoga said:
I would personally go with Asus for a motherboard (I've tried Asus, MSI (GD65) and GB (UD4)). Two reasons. Firstly, it's the only brand that gives you full overclocking with multiplier, and secondly, the BIOS/UEFI is just fantastic.

Many people here have had very easy success with the P8P67 Pro. You can use Andy's CD too which is tailored specifically for that board. Very handy :¬)

Thanks a lot for your comment. I think I might just go with the P8P68 board. Where can I find that CD, though?

Now I'm going a little bit over my budget with the XFX HD 5870 video card and all, but I think it's worth it.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I appreciate your help.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back