Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am planning a new hackintosh with a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo. I have no apple experience yet. I see here on this forum that everyone appears to use separate video cards with this mobo. Maybe someone could enlighten me why, when this mobo has a display port capable of 2560 x 1600 resolution? I don't do any gaming.

Would a cinema display (display port) work with the mobo video, both in OsX and win 7?

Will there be anyway to get thunder bolt into a hackintosh, now that the Apple exclusive on the chips has run out? Or would that have to wait until new mobos and win8? And even then maybe not work in OsX?

Any answers, clarification, suggestions or advice is welcome.

gredhead said:
I am planning a new hackintosh with a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo. I have no apple experience yet. I see here on this forum that everyone appears to use separate video cards with this mobo. Maybe someone could enlighten me why, when this mobo has a display port capable of 2560 x 1600 resolution? I don't do any gaming.

Would a cinema display (display port) work with the mobo video, both in OsX and win 7?

Will there be anyway to get thunder bolt into a hackintosh, now that the Apple exclusive on the chips has run out? Or would that have to wait until new mobos and win8? And even then maybe not work in OsX?

Why? Because others playing games, rendering videos, 3D works at these things need massive GPU performance.
DP is working, sure.
And no, if you want Thunderbolt, you have to buy a new mobo. And yes, it's not certain that the TB will work OOB.

gredhead said:

I assume some people use discrete GPUs because they want the extra power. They aren't necessary with some configurations however, and if you look around, you'll see a number of people using the integrated graphics. For most people, HD3000 probably works perfectly for their needs, but for other people, they don't mind spending an extra $50-$500 to get the extra power they desire. Even with those cards, they're still saving a boatload over buying a Mac.

Not sure about thunderbolt yet, as I haven't heard much. Maybe at some point there will be a PCI card for it, or it will just be built into the motherboards. Only time will tell, as it's still relatively new tech.

Right, the 2500 x whatever is the resolution the port is capable of supporting. So you can shove that many bits through the hole, but you'll need a source of bits. Or a shover. Shovel? Bit-shovel?

Anyway, I'm surprised that the HD 3000 doesn't support over 1920, since Apple is using it on their lower-level stuff, and apple's way into 2500 x 3.14159

Does the Display Port of a GA Z68MX-UD2H-B3 support sound output OOB (without DSDT edits)? This would be neccessary, if i want to connect a 27" Cinema Display.

If yes, which adapter cable from Display Port to Mini Display Port should i buy?

Thanks for your advise

MacTester57 said:
Does the Display Port of a GA Z68MX-UD2H-B3 support sound output OOB (without DSDT edits)? This would be neccessary, if i want to connect a 27" Cinema Display.

If yes, which adapter cable from Display Port to Mini Display Port should i buy?

Thanks for your advise
On the UD3H-B3 the DP works with audio after the HD3000's HDMI Audio edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back