1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, hopefully somebody can help...

My son and I very successfully built a machine recently with GB MB and Graphics card (as per profile), worked out of the box, flawlessly. Great.

Installed WC for the CPU and OCd - no problem. Installed GTX 680 OC. Fine.
Replaced 680 with Titan - fine!

Today upgraded the Titan with a watercooling system (Arctic Accelero) GPU temp is nice and low, max 60C whilst running 'Heaven' and 40C in idle) and all of a sudden ANY video (audio alone is fine) stutters - youtube, eyeTV or iTunes-videos or benchmarks like Heaven (shows great FPS and overall results though). Starts OK for two or three seconds and then freezes (audio and video) for a split second repeatedly and continues afterwards.

Does anybody have the slightest idea what the problem could be?

Thanks!!

P.S.: Windows continues to be fine - so I do not think I did anything to the card...

Did not get any responses, still want to share an update...

In the end it seems like the problem was the onboard audio of the Gigabyte z77x-up5-th. I found a detailed review of the board that showed two separate audio chips for front and rear panel, so plugged the speakers in the front socket and... it worked. Not 100% as there was some slight static noise, however, it worked. Windows seems to behave more tolerant, so I did not realise there was a problem immediately, but there were occasional stutters as well. Significantly less though.

I did not want to send the board to repair, so I searched for a sound card. (I actually was thinking about a somewhat better performing card anyway...) not easy to find here, but somewhere saw a hint towards the ESI Maya PCIe.

Works like a charm. OSX drivers come with it. Great sound (a huge difference) - in particular with the Edifier S730 speakers the machine now really 'rocks'.

All-in-all we now have a great system with massive performance, much better than I originally expected. I started this project with a remaining constant thought in my head that I might eventually declare it a 'great learning' but am very happy about the result.

Very robust behaviour - in particular with CPU and GPU both watercooled. Great.

I have a Cinema Display (mDP, not TH) 27" connected as well, in total a great experience.

Thanks Tonymac for the great guides - would not have had the slightest chance to succeed without those.

A slightly more responsive community would be great though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back