Contribute
Register

VIA HD AUDIO not working Asus P7P55D-E PRO 10.6.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi AC3, Same problem with ASUS P7P55D-E EVO.

I think this is a voodoo.ktext problem... when i playing a COD4 framerate is OK, but sound stay crackling

Hi Krokis

As I said above, I managed to resolve my issues entirely. In my attempts to fix things, I experimented with several versions of the VoodooHDA kexts (0.2.1, 0.2.2 and the two experimental ones included in multibeast). All of these kexts work perfectly fine if I keep the nullpowermanagement kext installed. This means that my CPU multiplier never goes down.

I realized after listening more closely to the sound that the issue could more accurately be described as stuttering and not crackling. That's partly what led me to the conclusion that it may be my CPU multiplier dropping too low. I confirmed that my CPU was not being managed properly by comparing geekbench scores before and after using the nullpowermanagement kext. As I expected, the score was a lot lower when I didn't have the kext installed.

Have you OCed your CPU? I noticed that the issue also went away when I had my CPU running at 22*160. When underclocked for power management, it would run at 9*160, providing enough performance to get around the sound issue. Nevertheless, I was dissatisfied with the lack of tools to monitor CPU speeds and the poor power management of OS X on my CPU, so I decided to leave the nullpowermanagement kext installed. My windows 7 install can underclock the CPU just fine, but OS X now constantly runs at 22*160.

Bottom line: If OSX is managing your i7-860 like it was mine, then this is likely the cause of your problems. You should try the nllpowermanagement kext that is included with multibeast.

-AC3

Thanks AC3, your right, the problem is relation as CPU IDLE, i found other easy solution without install NULLCPUketx:

Enter to your ASUS setup BIOS--Advanced--CPU CONFIGURATION--- and set C STATE package limit to "C1"

Save setting and VOILA!!!! sound works perfect and youtube dont freeze!!!

More information to CPU C STATE options:

C1: Stops CPU main internal clocks via software; bus interface unit and APIC are kept running at full speed.

C3:Stops all CPU internal clocks

C6:Reduces the CPU internal voltage to any value, including 0 V

By default, bios is set to "AUTO".

THANK YOU for help me!!! if you try this, please post your results :)

(I check with MSR tools and SPEEDSTEP works perfect, SLEEP also works :D)

KroKis, glad you found a solution and thank you for sharing it because it worked for me as well :).

I actually tested out what you suggested and this is what I found:
I originally had my bios set to C1E enabled, speedstep enabled and C-State tech disabled. In windows 7, these settings allowed for my CPU to be clocked down by reducing the multiplier. However, in Snow Leopard, these settings allowed for only 2 states, either the multiplier was set to 9.0 or it was set to 22.0. Since playing audio files doesn't require much in terms of CPU power, 9.0 is where the multiplier stayed, causing my audio stuttering problems.

Now I have my bios set to C1E enabled, speedstep enabled, and C-state tech enabled with the limit being C1 (I also removed sleepenabler and nullpowermanagement kexts). The result in SL is the type of CPU underclocking that I observe in windows 7. When I play audio files, the multiplier goes to ~11 or some intermediate value between 9 and 22. This means no more audio stuttering and CPU power management even while overclocking, which is exactly the ideal situation I was looking for.

Based on my testing, it seems that windows 7 has no problem with the C1E power management, but OS X doesn't quite handle it correctly, so for OS X, you need C-state enabled with a C1 limit.

-AC3

Hi fellow P7P55D-E users.

My sound is working fine however does not come up in system profiler.

I am using the experimental kext 0.2.61.

Sound appears in system preferences just not system profiler.

Any hints?

If I do need to install a different kext via multibeast - do I need to unintsall the experimental one. An is this a case of just deleting VooDooHDA.kext from system/library/extentions before installing a new kext via multibeast with system utilities?

Cheers

I'm using the VoodooHDA P7P55D (PowerCable) from here: http://www.kexts.com/view/432-voodoohda_p7p55d_(powercable).html.

It comes with a preference pane that has some nice settings if you need them, but it does not cause my audio to show up in system profiler.

You don't have to remove the kext before installing a new one. All of the kexts should be called VoodooHDA.kext, so if you install a different one, it will just replace the old one. If you want to try out different kexts other than the ones in multibeast, you can install them using kext helper and kext utility (both of which can be installed using multibeast) or you can use the new tool created by Tony and Macman called kextbeast (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/08/kextbeast-simple-kext-installer.html)

-AC3

Since GTX 460s are now supported I decided to get Snow Leopard up and running on my new puter. I've got almost everything working except I can't get the SPDIF audio working right on my P7P55D-E PRO. The regular audio does work but I'd highly prefer the SPDIF connection.

When I go into the Sound panel and try to click on the various sounds I can hear for a split second some static noise like it's trying to play audio. My Z55 speaker control window will also display 'Stereo' as the audio input when the short spurt of audio static plays. So, I know it's trying to do something.

I've tried shutting down the computer and unplugging it to totally discharge the juice in the machine but this method hasn't worked for getting the HD audio working.

Any ideas? I can live with the stereo output if I have to but it would be nice to use the full 5.1 now and then.

Thanks!

I couldn't find a way to get the SPDIF working on this board, anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back