Contribute
Register

very slow boot with TRIM enabled on Samsung SSD 840 (120Go)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8H67-M PRO
CPU
core i5 3570k
Graphics
iGPU (HD4000)
Hello,

I managed to get my HS working (upgrade from Sierra) with APFS on my Samsung SSD 840 (120Go) but I have to disable trim (in terminal, with sudo trimforce disable) to get a fast boot. With Trim enabled, it takes 2-3 minutes to boot.

Do you guys know how to enable TRIM with HS/APFS on this SSD, keeping a fast boot (no stall or errors) ? (maybe it's due unofficial apple SSD in general)

Solved !

I think it will apply to many users with SSD/APFS (not samsung 840 specifically) :

- first check no kext for trimenabler is present (S/L/E or L/E) and no clover patch for trim in config.plist
- Then disable trim via terminal : sudo trimforce disable.... Restart : Boot should be fast now

Last edited:
Guess I never had this issue since I never used trimenabler for my Samsung SSD 850 Evo. With APFS and trim enabled it boots to login from Clover in about 20 secs or so.

Update :

Now that my graphics kext are ok :

My boot drive is apfs formatted (from HS upgrade)
with sudo trimforce disable, boot takes 5-7 sec from the apple logo (trim is inactive on system report)
whereas with sudo trimforce enable, boot takes 15 sec from the apple logo

Last edited:
For me was the same its stack for 10-15 seconds here:

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 380
After use sudo trimforce disable is not stuck anymore but not that fast like on Sierra.
After that my system said TRIM i not available, so its change before was enabled

Attachments

• IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 487
I think less than 10 second delay is OK. If it is more than than that or file operations are slow something is wrong and trim should be disabled. Also in apfs log messages 'er' is probably related to Encryption Rolling. If you see 'error' it means error.

I think less than 10 second delay is OK. If it is more than than that or file operations are slow something is wrong and trim should be disabled. Also in apfs log messages 'er' is probably related to Encryption Rolling. If you see 'error' it means error.

How can I see "apfs log"?

This is really well documented already in the forum.

APFS + SSD + Trim can cause a slow boot due to missing Apple firmware.

The recommendation is to not use Trim with APFS.

Also trimforce enable is not the best way to use trim; the clover trim patch is preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back