CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm trying to find why my ProBook is booting so slow.
It's i3 with 8Gb, 1080p screen, F20 bios and Agility3 120Gb SSD
It takes over a minute to boot ML 10.8.1 or Lion 10.7.4, sometimes longer.
Every time it starts it takes over 30-45 seconds for disks to spin, super annoying.
My roommates one with regular screen and 5400rpm HDD it boots in less than 30 seconds.

What could be the problem?

I'm trying to find why my ProBook is booting so slow.
It's i3 with 8Gb, 1080p screen, F20 bios and Agility3 120Gb SSD
It takes over a minute to boot ML 10.8.1 or Lion 10.7.4, sometimes longer.
Every time it starts it takes over 30-45 seconds for disks to spin, super annoying.
My roommates one with regular screen and 5400rpm HDD it boots in less than 30 seconds.

What could be the problem?

Have you tried using a HDD instead of SSD? What's the boot time like?

Boot process for the purpose of timing can be roughly divided into couple parts

1. Kernel, dsdt, kext scanning or cache
2. Various kext loaded, filesystems and devices recognized (ethernet, bluetooth)
3. Graphics

Boot with -v and look which part seems to take longer than usual or hangs.

Open Console application on the laptop and your friend's computer. Check and compare the timestamps on both computers.

I just still hope that we can make a work around kernelcache. With kernelcache enabled, we can improve our boot time :(.

Exactly the same problem here with your same hw: f20, 1080p screen and i3 with 8 Ram. I saw that I began start the system so slow when I changed the screen and, of course, with a new dsdt. So, I thought the problem was the dsdt screen changes, because before this it boot in 12-20 seconds, and now the hdd doesn't move for 20-25 seconds while the wheel is moving, the hdd begin to work and 10 seconds again the wheel stops and start the desktop.

Exactly the same problem here with your same hw: f20, 1080p screen and i3 with 8 Ram. I saw that I began start the system so slow when I changed the screen and, of course, with a new dsdt. So, I thought the problem was the dsdt screen changes, because before this it boot in 12-20 seconds, and now the hdd doesn't move for 20-25 seconds while the wheel is moving, the hdd begin to work and 10 seconds again the wheel stops and start the desktop.

If you haven't already, you might want to generate your own DSDT. Using the provided DSDTs can result in boot delays...

If you haven't already, you might want to generate your own DSDT. Using the provided DSDTs can result in boot delays...

Nothing changes with the extracted dsdt. Almost 1 minute to boot, and I'm with a crucial m4 ssd.

Nothing changes with the extracted dsdt. Almost 1 minute to boot, and I'm with a crucial m4 ssd.

I hope that by "extracted dsdt" you mean "extracted and patched dsdt"...

A hand full of OSX/MacBook Pro users are complaining about the boot time on the Apple forums/support and reviews on the ML 10.8.1 update page.

I believe it is the software but i could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back