Contribute
Register

Ventura on Ivy Bridge

I just want to thank you all so much. I've been trying to install Ventura for months. I found this forum and after carefully reading all of your posts and following directions I've finally been successful Installing and configuring Ventura 13.5. Graphics and PM both working great and its very fast! Like I said I've been working on this for a really really long time with no success and damn it feels so good to finally be victorious!
Congrats mate!
Could you please share a bit of your knowledge. I am in the middle of these "months" but i see no light at the end of the tunnel.
- Did you follow 5T33Z0's guide?
- How was the transition for your EFI folder from Monterey to Ventura.? What was absolutely essential to change or add?
- Did it take you months the install or the post install procedure?

Anything, even random thoughts could be useful :)

Congrats mate!
Could you please share a bit of your knowledge. I am in the middle of these "months" but i see no light at the end of the tunnel.
- Did you follow 5T33Z0's guide?
- How was the transition for your EFI folder from Monterey to Ventura.? What was absolutely essential to change or add?
- Did it take you months the install or the post install procedure?

Anything, even random thoughts could be useful :)
My step1. Make sure the efi could run macOS 12 Monterey at ivy bridge + rx560.

step2. download and add the CryptexFixup to kexts folder and config.plist.

step3. config.plist
boot-args add -amd_no_dgpu_accel -cryptbeta amfi=0x80 ipc_control_port_options=0 amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1
Disable SIP: csr-active-config: 03080000
SecureBootModel: Disabled
Dmgloading: any

step4. Install macOS Ventura
step5. Login Ventura and download OCLP. Root Patch for dGPU and finally boot-args remove -amd_no_dgpu_accel

reboot and done!
Thanks.
It took me months to figure out that in order for Ventura to install properly for Ivy Bridge you must modify the installer. If you don't or its not done correctly it'll go all the way to the final reboot before starting for the first time and panic every time. I wanted to pull all my hair out , so frustrating...Anyhow
Follow the steps above...
Start with an EFI that's working well with Monterey. Copy your working Monterey EFI folder to your Desktop.
Download CryptexFixup. Next place CryptexFixup.kext in your kexts folder. Now your must add it to your config.plist so that it loads. If you're not sure how to add it to your config.plist let me know and I'll explain. Once that is done you must add the Boot-args. Leave whats already there and just add whats above. Make sure you leave one space between what was already there and the addon. This is under the Nvram section...mine looked like this
boot-args -v keepsyms=1 -amd_no_dgpu_accel -cryptbeta amfi=0x80 ipc_control_port_options=0 amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1
Then in the same area look for
csr-active-config: then add 03080000 just like above.
Again look for Secure Boot Model and make sure its disabled.
Finally set Dmgloading to Any. Now make sure and SAVE the file. Close the file and reopen it and make sure all the changes you made are still there. Mount the EFI partition of your Ventura USB installer and DELETE the EFI folder thats there and copy the one we modified back to it. Now reboot and start your computer from the USB installer.
Once its started up open Disk Utility and wipe clean where ever you're going to install to. Erase using apfs. Now exit disk utility and start the Ventura installation. It'll take a while but it should complete and start up after several reboots. Once it does download OCLP and run the root patch once that's done mount the EFI partition and remove only -amd_no_dgpu_accel from boot args leave the rest there and that's it.

Good Luck

ok thanks a million mate. this is a SUCCESS !!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:
the above procedure i done it before but with no luck. This time with more clear mind, although it still doesn't work out of the box, i added one more step which was the solution!

so a break down of the steps that worked for me:
step1: Make sure your efi can run macOS 12 Monterey at ivy bridge + a non AVG2 GPU.
step2: Download and add the CryptexFixup.kext to kexts folder and config.plist.
step3: Add CryptexFixup to the config.plist so that it loads.
step4: Add the boot-args below to the config.plist without delete any of the ones already there
-amd_no_dgpu_accel -cryptbeta amfi=0x80 ipc_control_port_options=0 amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1

step5: set csr-active-config to 03080000
step6: set SecureBootModel to Disabled
step7: set Dmgloading to Any

<!-- The Solution (at least for my case) -->
step8: If the SMBIOS used for the Monterey installation does not support Ventura, naturally it shouldn't since we are on Ivy Bridge, we must change to a Ventura compatible SMBIOS.
My SMBIOS was MacPro6,1 so i changed it to MacPro7,1. This is did via OCAT taking a backup of the whole folder before.

step9:reboot and start your computer from the USB installer. Once its starts up open Disk Utility and wipe clean where ever you're going to install to. Erase using apfs.
step10: Install macOS Ventura (Without step 8 i got a "This mac is not compatible with MacOS Ventura" or similar message)

<!-- Post install steps -->
step11: Login Ventura and download OCLP. Root Patch for dGPU
step12: Remove boot-arg -amd_no_dgpu_accel
step13: Mount the EFI of the disk that Ventura is installed on and completely delete folder "EFI". Unmount. Mount EFI from USB stick and copy/paste on a folder. Unmount. Mount the EFI of the disk that Ventura is installed on and copy paste the EFI from the USB

Post install notices/thoughts
- After the root patch i need two continuous reboots + 2 NVRAM resets in order to boot without getting stuck to Apple error(support.apple.com/mac/startup)
- I believe most of the above boot-args that we added can be avoided if we follow the suggestions of the Ventura on Ivy bridge guide
- I don't see how you guys managed to finish installation without changing your SMBIOS.

Why i couldn't make it to ventura until today?
I made many many many attempts, I followed and done ALL the changes that the guide suggests.
The error i was getting (the libSystem.B.dylib one) i found it in 2 threads. Both were about installing Ventura on Vm. This leads only to one thought...
The guide says:
Add and enable both Booter Patches from OCLP's Board-ID VMM spoof: "Skip Board ID check" and "Reroute HW_BID to OC_BID"
This way it skips board-id checks in macOS virtualizes the used board-id → Makes macOS "believe" it's running in a VM. This allows booting macOS with unsupported, native SMBIOS best suited for your CPU.

Conclusion should be that the VMM trick triggers the error.
I avoided that by using MacPro7,1 SMBIOS so the above patch is not necessary.
Isn't it though?

Should i go back to MacPro6,1?
Based on theory and ..THE Guide, i should. This means i must revert back to my previous SMBIOS settings and use the VMM spoofing Patches.

So i will update this as i go. For now i just want to enjoy my fresh cup of ventura.

cheers all, you've been wonderful as always.

Last edited:
now all we need is a step by step for us dummies
Or just buy a refurb 8th or 9th gen Dell or HP and avoid a huge amount of patching/spoofing and jumping through many hoops to make it work with Ventura. UHD630 graphics are fully supported even in the latest Sonoma.

If you still use a GT730 that makes Ventura patching even more complicated. Most people use newer AMD cards with older Ivy Bridge systems.

My thoughts so far on this ivy-bridge-e to Ventura thing, i suppose the -e part has a role here, for anyone left out there with such processor.
It seems that this is not easy. I installed Ventura as i described above then i tried to play with it and see if it is stable. Testing it from all perspectives before i upgrade my main working load. Everything seemed fine so i moved on to test an upgrade from .4 to .5. Disaster..... Back to boot loops.
So i started again. Clean. .5 on a stick, EFI copy of the last one that worked. Disaster again. Still to this day after tweaking and tweaking. I will make it work, i know, but this time this upgrade gives me so many troubles and although i still feel this setup with the 1680v2 OCed to 4.4 and the quad channel memory is a decent performer, i am getting tired.
And if that wasn't enough....
Yesterday i decided to get back to my rpg gaming after many years. I got me baldur's gate 3. It is ready for mac as well. Well not quite.. after ~80GB of downloading (120 on windows... ) i got the message that the game needs a mac with an AVX2 CPU. :eek:

So i don't know if there is a point here except of satisfying my "need to tweak"
And if we are such lucky bstrds and have trs96 in this forum :), we automatically have access to the stablest custom mac builds ever made.
Or just buy a refurb 8th or 9th gen Dell or HP and avoid a huge amount of patching/spoofing and jumping through many hoops to make it work with Ventura. UHD630 graphics are fully supported even in the latest Sonoma.
This seems so much better of a solution. I suppose a 7020/9020 would run sonoma as well. And if someone is like me and has plenty of spare parts, i am thinking of just buying just a motherboard and a 4970 if i don't find a good deal on a ready Dell MT build. Here in europe things are tougher and .. pricier :(
Only thing bothers me is that gaming wise it will be worse.

EDIT: Confused 8th 9th gen to 7020-9020 build guides. Really sorry :(

Last edited:
EDIT: Confused 8th 9th gen to 7020-9020 build guides. Really sorry
At this point in time, the prices of newer refurbs like 8th/9th gen Coffee Lake, are coming way down. They can also run Windows 11 and get updates. Makes more sense than buying a 4th gen 7020/9020 today. 4 years ago in 2019 the 4th gen Intel Dell systems were the best choice.
Screen_Shot_2.jpg

Last edited:
Look what's available for $200 on Ebay.com. 6 core 12 thread i7-8700 and 16GB of ram. Just add your own NVMe and you're good to go with supported iGPU on Ventura. Super cheap and easy. It's why they sell so fast. Prices may be higher on Ebay sites in other countries outside the USA.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Last edited:
Look what's available for $200 on Ebay.com. 6 core 12 thread i7-8700 and 16GB of ram. Just add your own NVMe and you're good to go with supported iGPU on Ventura. Super cheap and easy. It's why they sell so fast. Prices may be higher on Ebay sites in other countries outside the USA.
You are right but unfortunately prices AND availability of 7060s and 7070s in Europe are way more expensive. I don't see an investment of ~450 euros for one year of possible updates (estimating that sonoma could be the last intel macOS) worth it. Except if one will use it as a win 11 machine which totally changes the perspective.

if one will use it as a win 11 machine which totally changes the perspective.
Microsoft's past history suggests it will even get Win12 support. So at least 8-10 years of security updates. Not bad for the small investment.

Back