Contribute
Register

Ventura on hp 17-by2053cl I5 Laptop Everything Now Working!

Motherboard
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
CPU
i9-10900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have Ventura 13.4 and Win 11 on this laptop. The Venura works perfectly. I had to change out the stock wifi/bluetooth card with BCM94360NG. The laptop came with a 1 tb mechanical SATA hard drive and an open M2 slot. I replaced the drive with a 1 tb SSD for Win 11 and installed a 1tb WD M2 for Ventura. I also upgraded its 12gb ram to 16gb. I could not find anyone anywhere that had already got this working on this model laptop so after many hours hours of research and experimenting got it all working except for one thing.
The laptop BIOS will only let the SSD be the first hard drive boot device and that has the Win 11 on it. You cannot boot directly from the M2 unless you remove the SSD. Lots of complaints about this on the HP forum. So to boot Ventura you have to put open core EFI on a small thumb drive and set that as the first boot drive. Works great and boots Ventura. Only problem is neither Opencanopy or the text picker will display while booting. The screen remains black. After the 8 second time out it boots. But you can't see the picker to select what to boot. No errors and the picker is obviously working just not visible. So to boot win 11 you simply remove the thumb drive and reboot. The thumb drive boots fine to opencanopy on my desktop and I have tried many different config changes and nothing works. Would be nice if it could be made to actually display opencanopy or even the text picker. If anyone as any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

One more clue:
If I disconnect the SSD drive with Win 11 and remove the USB drive with Opencore EFI so it has no other choice but to boot the M2 with Ventura it will boot into and SHOW Opencanopy off the EFI on the M2 but of course you can't choose to select Windows as its disconnected.

I've actually had this working since 13.0. I just updated it to 13.4 and open core 0.9.3 etc.
IMG_20230614_142520.png

Last edited:
Update: I tried building a new EFI using only older Opencore files and kexts. If I go back to 0.8.8 and kexts from October '22 then the picker works even in graphic mode. So now I need to try updating the kexts 1 at a time and see if its one go them doing it,. If it still works then something that was changed in Opencore after 0.8.8 is doing it. Fun stuff...I will update when I figure out the culprit.

Update: I tried building a new EFI using only older Opencore files and kexts. If I go back to 0.8.8 and kexts from October '22 then the picker works even in graphic mode. So now I need to try updating the kexts 1 at a time and see if its one go them doing it,. If it still works then something that was changed in Opencore after 0.8.8 is doing it. Fun stuff...I will update when I figure out the culprit.
please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Success! Was an easy fix. Had to disable "ProvideConsoleGop" in EFI - Output. This is enabled by default. Works with older Opencore as it was only added after around 0.7.6 or so.

Please consider posting your EFI to Github and a link to Github in this thread?

Hi! that efi would be great. i have the same laptop and trying to do a clean installation. :)

Hi! that efi would be great. i have the same laptop and trying to do a clean installation. :)
please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

HP135.jpg

I have added my EFI to this post. 0.9.5. I have removed my system and MB serial numbers from it.
I am now running Ventura 13.6 with OC 0.9.5.
Some things to know:
The stock Realtek wifi/BT card is not Mac compatible so I replaced it with a BCM94360NG card which is plug & play and works natively.
I also upped the stock memory from 12gb to 16gb and replaced the horribly slow stock mechanical hard drive with Win10 with an SSD and installed Win11 on it. MUCH faster now. I added a WD 500gb to the M.2 slot and put Ventura on it. After much experimentation got everything working.
Some notes:
HP for some reason does not let you boot directly from the optional M.2 unless you remove the SSD/Hard Drive. Otherwise it will always boot from that drive. No BIOS selection for first boot drive. If you put Ventura on the SSD then no problem. If you leave Windows there then it will always boot that. So what I did as I wanted Ventura on the M.2 was put OC EFI on a small thumb driven set the BIOS to boot USB first. Now I can select Win11 or Ventura from the OC picker.
Note 2:
Do not use a newer VoodooPS2Controller.kext as the trackpad will no longer work.
Note 3:
After 0.9.3 it no longer recognizes the CD drive and I haven't troubleshot that yet but will soon.
Otherwise everything appears to function normally.
Note 4:
Sonoma also installs and appears to work except it does not work with the BCM94360NG wifi/BT card so until someone finds a fix for that I am sticking with Ventura.

Attachments

• HPEFI.zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Update: I removed the EFI in the previous post and uploaded an updated copy as the version I posted here didn't have the BCM94360NG updates to it. It does now so if you use that card both wifi and Bluetooth will work with Ventura 13.6. I also did some cleanup I had forgotten to do.
Update 2: I also fixed the problem of it not recognizing the DVD drive on the newer Ventura updates.

Last edited:
Update: I removed the EFI in the previous post and uploaded an updated copy as the version I posted here didn't have the BCM94360NG updates to it. It does now so if you use that card both wifi and Bluetooth will work with Ventura 13.6. I also did some cleanup I had forgotten to do.
those brcm, bluetool and airport kexts are not required for a BCM94360NG card :)

Back