CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is anyone else having issues with the Ventura Installer frozen at initial boot with an AMD Ryzen?
Currently on opencore 0.85, upgrading from latest Monterey. I have read that some folks experienced issues upgrading from Monterey, but was able to upgrade to Ventura by downloading the iso and doing a full install with Ventura Beta. I'd rather to the upgrade from Monterey if possible.

I was able to upgrade to Ventura fine with no issues on my other setup with an Intel I9 10850k.

Is anyone else having issues with the Ventura Installer frozen at initial boot with an AMD Ryzen?
Currently on opencore 0.85, upgrading from latest Monterey. I have read that some folks experienced issues upgrading from Monterey, but was able to upgrade to Ventura by downloading the iso and doing a full install with Ventura Beta. I'd rather to the upgrade from Monterey if possible.

I was able to upgrade to Ventura fine with no issues on my other setup with an Intel I9 10850k.
where did you get the iso from?

I haven't gone through with downloading and installing with the iso, but you can download it from the App Store.

Whatever gets downloaded and asking where I got the ISO from is besides the point as I stated how others circumvented this while in it was in Beta.

I'm just trying to hear from folks, that have a Ryzen setup, about their experience with the Ventura upgrade. Were they able to upgrade successfully or did they run into issues, etc.

Whatever gets downloaded and asking where I got the ISO from is besides the point as I stated how others circumvented this while in it was in Beta.

I'm just trying to hear from folks, that have a Ryzen setup, about their experience with the Ventura upgrade. Were they able to upgrade successfully or did they run into issues, etc.
re read my reply above

Have you updated the kernel patches.plist?

@bitwise0 what SMBIOS are you using?. I've been using Ventura Public Beta since it became available and have successfully updated through System Settings because of my SMBIOS. Originally I was using MacPro7,1, but I would end up creating a new installer because it wouldn't update. When I changed to iMac19,1, not only was I able to update through System Settings, I also gained 15K in GB5 Metal Bench for my RX 580.
My latest EFI is on HackinDROM and you can see the kexts I have running on the left, but we don't know what your AMD build specs are, so I can't really say if it would help or not!.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 10.28.54 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 10.28.12 AM.png

Last edited:
Have you updated the kernel patches.plist?
This was the issue... After updating the Kernel Patches to the latest from GitHub, installer started and installation was successful.
Not sure how I was able to upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey without updating the patches, but good to know I'll need to do this going forward.

Thank you very much!

Back