Contribute
Register

Ventura 13.3 update. Stuck at apple logo after verbose.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi. I just tried to update my setup from 13.2.1 to 13.3 and now it's stuck. I have previously updated with no issues.

I have attached some pictures of the verbose lines before the hangup. together with a snapshot of my EFI folder contents and config.plist

My setup
Gigabyte z370 Gaming X
i9 9900k
XFX RX6600XT .. after this issue I swapped it back to Sapphire RX580 but still comes to the same place.
32GB DDR4
Crucial SSD 4T
OC 0.9 and WG and VSMC and AppleALC all the latest from GitHub acidanthera

Things I tried
- remove graphics card and use iGPU
- swap RX6600 to RX580. Removed the boot-args 'adgpmod = pikera'
- removed wifi/BT card
- removed kexts to minimum (keeping lilu, applealc, virtualsmc) to no avail.
- removed above 4G decoding and editing the corresponding config plist entry

I must have rebooted this setup over a couple hundred times since yesterday.

Anyone can provide some pointers?

Attachments

• IMG_3749.PNG
    IMG_3749.PNG
    10.9 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3750.PNG
    IMG_3750.PNG
    12.6 MB · Views: 79
  • config.plist.zip
    7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 11.27.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 11.27.18 PM.png
    651 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hi. I just tried to update my setup from 13.2.1 to 13.3 and now it's stuck. I have previously updated with no issues.

I have attached some pictures of the verbose lines before the hangup. together with a snapshot of my EFI folder contents and config.plist

My setup
Gigabyte z370 Gaming X
i9 9900k
XFX RX6600XT .. after this issue I swapped it back to Sapphire RX580 but still comes to the same place.
32GB DDR4
Crucial SSD 4T

Things I tried
- removed wifi/BT card

you probably want to have lilu.kext at the top of your list in your config.plist

you can remove these pointless boot arguments:
-alcbeta -lilubetaall igfxrpsc=1 -wegbeta -vsmcbeta igfxonln=1

make sure your opencore and kexts are up to date

reset cmos and re check bios settings

My setup
Gigabyte z370 Gaming X
i9 9900k
32GB DDR4
Crucial SSD 4T

Things I tried
- removed wifi/BT card

Hi @jayw8888 -- I also had problems with my Z390 Gaming X during this update. It seems to go into a boot loop at some point during the update process.

I used CaseySJ's EFI and it got me through the update.

If you use his EFI, remember to use your custom USBPorts kext (confirm entry in Kernel), add your DeviceProperties and add you serials, etc.

After it successfully updated, I was able to go back to my old EFI. I went through the differences and I couldn't figure out any major differences. CaseySJ has a number of entries to enable AppleVTD, Thunderbolt and Aquantia, but I'm not sure which were the ones that enabled a successful boot.

@tedyun Thanks for the EFI tip. It worked though why is something I can’t understand. It booted up the build nicely and allowed the install to complete. Now when I swap back to the xfx 6600xt and old EFI, it goes to black when login pages is supposed to be displayed. I still have the agdpmod = pikera in the boot-args.

Any ideas?

@tedyun Thanks for the EFI tip. It worked though why is something I can’t understand. It booted up the build nicely and allowed the install to complete. Now when I swap back to the xfx 6600xt and old EFI, it goes to black when login pages is supposed to be displayed. I still have the agdpmod = pikera in the boot-args.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what could cause the video problem. Is the 6600 one of the cards that requires a spoof?

Back