ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get everything up and running on a bit of an older system. The specs to this system are as follows:

Motherboard: H61M-DS2
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 (Intel HD Graphics 2000)
GPU: ASUS Nvidia GT 640 2GB

Everything seems to work fine the only issue is when I take a look at Hackintool under VDA Decoder it says failed.

I did some research and from my understanding the integrated graphics of the CPU on a real Mac is used for acceleration for certain tasks such as when running Final Cut. I am also using system definition iMac 13,1 as that is the closest to my hardware. From my understanding, when macOS sees iMac 13,1 it expects there to be an integrated graphics that supports hardware acceleration for VDA Decoder to work. Seeing as the Intel HD Graphics 2000 is not supported within macOS this could be why my VDA Decoder is showing up as failed and thus could lead to strange issues despite the fully supported Nvidia GT 640 I'm using as my output to the display. However, I'm not completely sure if what I just mentioned is completely accurate and I'm looking for someone to either confirm or deny it.

So the bottom line is I have questions and they are:

1. Is my understanding and what I mentioned above accurate?
  2. Is there a way of getting VDA Decoder to work with my current setup?
  3. If there's no way of getting VDA Decoder to work, what issue can I expect by running iMac 13,1 with the GT 640 as the main output and integrated graphics fully disable for the Core i3-2100 within BIOS?
  4. Is there a better system definition I can be using?

in summary
GT 640 + IGPU = VDA supported // this is the proper iMac configuration
GT 640 + disabled iGPU = VDA not supported // no solution, macOS do not use NVIDIA GPU built-in hardware decoder

suggested solutions
1. switch the OS from Catalina to High Sierra, enable the HD2000 iGPU, or
2. replaced your sandybridge CPU with ivybridge, enable the HD4000/HD2500 iGPU, or
3. replace the NVIDIA GPU with AMD GPU, such as RX570, change the SysDef to iMacPro

in summary
GT 640 + IGPU = VDA supported // this is the proper iMac configuration
GT 640 + disabled iGPU = VDA not supported // no solution, macOS do not use NVIDIA GPU built-in hardware decoder

suggested solutions
1. switch the OS from Catalina to High Sierra, enable the HD2000 iGPU, or
2. replaced your sandybridge CPU with ivybridge, enable the HD4000/HD2500 iGPU, or
3. replace the NVIDIA GPU with AMD GPU, such as RX570, change the SysDef to iMacPro

Hey thanks for the reply! I looked everywhere trying to find some guide that would allow me to enable HD2000 in High Sierra but no luck. Can you possibly point me to a guide to achieving that?

Hey thanks for the reply! I looked everywhere trying to find some guide that would allow me to enable HD2000 in High Sierra but no luck. Can you possibly point me to a guide to achieving that?

You may try this setting on HD2000, If it doesn't work, then you have to replace the CPU or dGPU card

2nd Gen - Sandy Bridge CPU = SysDef: imac12,x
2nd Gen - Sandy Bridge CPU = HD-3000 IGPU = 0x00030030

Legacy Intel
Supported iGPUs:
  • HD 2000(Can only be used for Quicksync tasks, no full acceleration)
  • HD 3000
  • HD P3000

You may try this setting on HD2000, If it doesn't work, then you have to replace the CPU or dGPU card

2nd Gen - Sandy Bridge CPU = SysDef: imac12,x
2nd Gen - Sandy Bridge CPU = HD-3000 IGPU = 0x00030030

Legacy Intel
Supported iGPUs:
  • HD 2000(Can only be used for Quicksync tasks, no full acceleration)
  • HD 3000
  • HD P3000

I'm going to give this a try and report back later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back