Contribute
Register

v310's First Build: Core i7-3770K - GA-Z77N-WIFI - 16GB RAM - GTX 660Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Stork for the correction. Always keeping us kids out of trouble.

I ran Nova again today and my speed is a little higher than with MB 5.2.

I ran into the issue that my computer wouldn't get an IP address when I started it up on ethernet. I had to unplug the cable, plug it back in then restart. The only change I have made recently is upgrading my switches to gigabit. (Maybe that has nothing to do with anything.)

Other than that, everything works beautifully.

Question. I have a similar build. A Corsair H60 & the GA-Z77N-WIFI. There's only two fan ports on the GA-Z77N-WIFI. The H60 takes up 2. What are my best options for plugging in my case fans which are 3 pins?

This is my first build, so if this is a dumb question, please excuse me.

Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of doing my first ever Hackintosh build (just started it tonight).

I've purchased the same motherboard as v310 did, the GA-Z77N-wifi, as well as a discrete graphics card (a 650 Ti).

As per the approved hardware list, it said that the wifi part of the z77n-wifi doesn't work in OSX, so I also bought the TP Link WDN-4800 to handle wifi.

So here comes my question:

Where is the wifi card supposed to go?! There's only 1 PCI slot on the z77n, which looks to me like it should be for the graphics card.

Have I unnecessarily purchased the WDN-4800? And if so, then do I need to get the Atheros AR9280, like v310 did, instead? And in either case, where does the card GO?

If there's a video on this sight you guys could refer me to, that would be great, or if someone could just explain it to me that would work too!

Thanks a bunch in advance for helping a total noob.

Where is the wifi card supposed to go?! There's only 1 PCI slot on the z77n, which looks to me like it should be for the graphics card.

Good thing I saw this, try this card for the Mini PCI-E slot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A31IXVY

It's a Dell DW1515 U608F Wireless card, it can replace the intel card and should work natively. Even better, it's $15 US. Only works for wifi though... Hope this helps! :D

UPDATE: Somehow the price is at $115 US now... That's a bummer... >.<

Good thing I saw this, try this card for the Mini PCI-E slot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A31IXVY/

It's a Dell DW1515 U608F Wireless card, it can replace the intel card and should work natively. Even better, it's $15 US. Only works for wifi though... Hope this helps! :D

UPDATE: Somehow the price is at $115 US now... That's a bummer... >.<

Okay so you have to replace the pre-existing Intel mini PCI-E card then?

Doesn't that mean that the bluetooth feature of this MB would also be disabled?

Might I just be better off leaving the intel card in there for BT and adding a USB dongle to handle wifi?

Well USB dongles can be a bit slow from what I have heard, I would get a Bluetooth dongle and Wifi M PCIE card if you are concerned about download speeds and what not. But it is up to you.

Well USB dongles can be a bit slow from what I have heard, I would get a Bluetooth dongle and Wifi M PCIE card if you are concerned about download speeds and what not. But it is up to you.

Ok, here's a question: if you do replace the mini PCI card with the (OS X compatible) Atheros one, do you actually have to attach those ridiculous looking wired rubber ear things that come with the motherboard in order for wi-fi to work properly?

That price is a screw up, I just got mine in from China at $10 shipped from Ebay. I haven't got around to soldering in place will try maybe tomorrow, but ya, $115 is just wrong!

On a side note, this thread helped me out on just about the best build I have ever done! Having an issue with the HD4000 integrated vid (BIOS issue) but just let the system boot thennnnn turn on the monitor, no scrambled vid problem, solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back