Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-7700 4.2GHz Kaby Lake
Graphics
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1060 6G
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello

I'm on the verge of building my first hackintosh. I currently own a mac mini with plethora of software (mostly music software). I've used time machine to back up the information in my mac mini. I'd like to know if once my hackintosh is ready, will I be able to use time machine to reinstall that version of my mac mini?

sure you will be able to restore but you will have a new system IDs so if the licenses are UID based you will have re-register. the same you would with a new genuine product

Hello

I'm on the verge of building my first hackintosh. I currently own a mac mini with plethora of software (mostly music software). I've used time machine to back up the information in my mac mini. I'd like to know if once my hackintosh is ready, will I be able to use time machine to reinstall that version of my mac mini?

It seems to me that you are going to build a Kaby Lake system as a hackintosh and in such a case you need MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 or later. Are you already running Sierra 10.12.6 or High Sierra on your Mac mini? If you are running an older version of MacOS on your Mac mini, you should make sure the software you intend to run will still work on whatever version of MacOS you intend to use on your hackintosh.

It seems to me that you are going to build a Kaby Lake system as a hackintosh and in such a case you need MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 or later. Are you already running Sierra 10.12.6 or High Sierra on your Mac mini? If you are running an older version of MacOS on your Mac mini, you should make sure the software you intend to run will still work on whatever version of MacOS you intend to use on your hackintosh.

Thanks for the response. I am running Sierra on my mini at the moment. I've considered El Capitan but It appears that it's fairly glitchy based on what I've read from other hackintosh builders and the folks that use music gear I use. if I'm understanding what you're saying, so long as I'm running sierra on the mini, this should be ok?

Thanks for the response. I am running Sierra on my mini at the moment. I've considered El Capitan but it appears that it's fairly glitchy based on what I've read from other hackintosh builders and the folks that use music gear I use. if I'm understanding what you're saying, so long as I'm running sierra on the mini, this should be ok?

If you are already running Sierra on your Mac mini, then we can assume that the software you are using are compatible with Sierra. Therefore it is best for you to install and use Sierra on your hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back