Contribute
Register

Using PCI-e interfaces with a hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to dig up an old thread, but 'm embarking on a HD3 PCIx build and need some help planning, if you guys would oblige.

I've built 2 asus hackintosh systems successfully so far, and have learned a great deal, but before I start spending money, I want to plan plan plan, and learn as much as possible about possible issues with HD cards and PCIx.

I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find a supported hackintosh mobo that has 3 PCIx slots and is socket 1366. I'd prefer socket 1366 because it can support 6 and 8 core processors and is a bit more future proof (versus 1156).

Any thoughts?

o19MediaGroup said:
I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find a supported hackintosh mobo that has 3 PCIx slots and is socket 1366. I'd prefer socket 1366 because it can support 6 and 8 core processors and is a bit more future proof (versus 1156).

How about these:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/X58/X8SAX.cfm
2x PCI-X, 1x PCI, single 1366, ATX

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DA6.cfm?SAS=N
3x PCI-X, dual 1366, E-ATX

HTH!

BTW, I'm running a HD3 PCI-X PT9 system on a GA-H55-USB3. I'll post the full specs one of these days...

Hold the phone...

the GA-H55-USB3 has PCI slots, not PCIx (the longer ones). How did you get 3 HD PCIx cards on a GA-H55-USB3. That would actually be ideal, but I dont understand how that works...

o19MediaGroup said:
the GA-H55-USB3 has PCI slots, not PCIx (the longer ones). How did you get 3 HD PCIx cards on a GA-H55-USB3. That would actually be ideal, but I dont understand how that works...

Details, details. The HD core and Accel cards have a PCI-X edge connector, but only use the PCI portion of it. The cards plug into PCI slots, and operate at 32 bit/33 MHz. On any motherboard with PCI standard slots, part of the edge connector overhangs the socket, but it doesn't matter, as long as there's enough clearance (which there is on the GA-H55-USB3). I was concerned about this issue, and read in TonyMac and many other forums that it was ok.

Who knows why Digi used those cards, probably had to go with that edge connector to get the full-length card. I don't think they ever expected Apple to discontinue PCI-X, and it took them quite some time to develop PCI-e. HTH.

ethervalve said:
Hi folks,
I was just wondering if anyone here has attempted to use something along the lines of a Motu 24i/o with their i3/i5/i7 hackintosh?
I need at least 16 analog inputs and outputs, and it seems to me that a PCI-e card would be the most cost effective way there.

PS: I'd like to thank Tony for this great resource!
MOTU 424 PCI Express is an excellent choice.
Works perfectly on OSX and have great selection interface depending on the amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back