Intel i7 4771
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm about to start my first Hackintosh build. I was planning on using my Samsung 840 PRO SSD 256GB. The iMac(2007) does not work well with the SSD. Lot's of crashes/data lost. I want to pull the SSD out and use it in my new build. What would be the best way? Should I wipe the drive prior to pulling it out of the iMac? Leave it as is and just plug it in the new Hack?

Thanks!
Alex

I'm about to start my first Hackintosh build. I was planning on using my Samsung 840 PRO SSD 256GB. The iMac(2007) does not work well with the SSD. Lot's of crashes/data lost. I want to pull the SSD out and use it in my new build. What would be the best way? Should I wipe the drive prior to pulling it out of the iMac? Leave it as is and just plug it in the new Hack?

Thanks!
Alex

Depends on what is causing the crashes in your iMac. have you updated the firmware for use in a Mac? It ships with Windows firmware.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Thanks Going Bald. The funny thing is, when I called Samsung support, the guy I spoke to there is the one who told me about building a Hackintosh! He basically said the SSD will never work properly in my iMac.

I've also read that in order to update the SSD, you need to remove it, update on a windows machine, then reinstall it. My thought was once my Hackintosh is built, I won't need the iMac and either sell it or give it to my kids.

Depends on what is causing the crashes in your iMac. have you updated the firmware for use in a Mac? It ships with Windows firmware.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

I followed the instructions and the SSD was already on the newest Mac firmware. I believe it has something to do with the RAM being overloaded?? I installed free memory app and since using it my crashes have been considerably less. I'm maxed out at 6gb of ram on my '07 iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back