i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
System Specs:
Asus X58 Sabertooth
3.21 GHz Intel Core i7 1st Gen.
10GB 1069 MHz DDR3
GeForce 9800 GTX 512 MB

Hi, I have been using Hackintosh for some time now and I have noticed that there is a big lack of performance when I run my Hackintosh build compared to running Windows 7 on another HDD.

If I try to play for example Minecraft, my CPU will go into overload at over 100%
Here is my activity monitor:
mc-cpu-overload.png

As you can see it overloads the CPU, and if I play the game in Windows, it stays very low at around 10-20%.

Same goes for Adobe Premiere. When I work in Premiere my CPU will spike at over 100% when in windows it will go just fine.

Is there something wrong with my Nvidia Driver?

Can someone help me with my problem?

Thanks in advance.

What is the CPU model number?

What version of OS X are you running?

What boot loader are you using?

What Nvidia kext is being loaded?

What do you have hanging on the PCIe bus?

What USB devices are installed?

neil

neilhart said:
What is the CPU model number?

What version of OS X are you running?

What boot loader are you using?

What Nvidia kext is being loaded?

What do you have hanging on the PCIe bus?

What USB devices are installed?
neil
Thanks for the reply.
My CPU is: Intel Core i7 960 Quad 3,2Ghz.
I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.3
My bootloader is Chimera V1.7.0 R1394, the one from MultiBeast 4.2.
I don't know what Nvidia Kext is beaing loaded, where can I check this?
PCIe Bus? How do I check that? I have 2 PCI-express ports on my Motherboard, one of them are containing my Graphics Card.
As for my USB, I've got Logitech G3 and Illuminated Keyboard.

Can the CPU go over 100%? What are the temperatures like? I'd expect it is more a monitoring problem than anything else.
I know people say they will put in 110% effort (!) but surely in reality for this type of monitoring load cannot be greater than 100% so it must be a problem with measuring.
Sometimes I have seen monitoring programs report temperatures of 1000 centigrade - I suspect this is just one of those type of things. It doesn't mean that there is NOT a problem, but first find out what is being measured before jumping to conclusions.

OS X sees all 8 threads as 100% each and therefore reports CPU usage as 800% total. So 125% is like using up to 1 1/4 threads of activity...or approximately 10-20%. :cool:

kushninja said:
OS X sees all 8 threads as 100% each and therefore reports CPU usage as 800% total. So 125% is like using up to 1 1/4 threads of activity...or approximately 10-20%. :cool:
Thanks for the info. One thing I noticed is that if i play Minecraft with high CPU %, and then go into Chrome, the whole machine will go really slow, and I will hear a low frequenze noise from the computer, like it is having a hard time ?

Anyone have any ideas ?

kushninja said:

Thanks for that clarification Kushninja. :thumbup:

No problem. :D

khallingstad said:
kushninja said:
Thanks for the info. One thing I noticed is that if i play Minecraft with high CPU %, and then go into Chrome, the whole machine will go really slow, and I will hear a low frequenze noise from the computer, like it is having a hard time ?

Anyone have any ideas ?

That noise is your video card doing its' processing. Although your machine shouldn't slow down with those specs...not sure the problem. Sounds like it could be software related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back