Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Formula Z97 w/ Thunderbolt - Clover UEFI Bootloader r3292
CPU
i7 4970K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 980 ti and AMD 580
So, due to frustration over lack of Nvidia support in Final Cut Pro X, I decided I'd throw in an AMD 580 card and just switch back and forth when using Windows or Mac OS.. But, when I booted into Mac with both cards installed using the Nvidia Card as the primary driver, both cards were suddenly active and effective in Hardware Acceleration. This is a first for me. I can't even really explain it, so I thought I'd share and see if anyone else has had any similar experiences.

When I booted using only the AMD Card I saw minimal increase in performance in FCP X. It was when I booted using the Nvidia drivers, with the AMD card simply plugged into the PCI-E Slot that I saw the performance boost. Rendering in FCPX saw 2-3 times increased speed in rendering and easily double export speeds.

.... Can't Explain It....

But for your 980ti, you are using your web drivers too?

Yeah. I'm using the Nvidia Web Drivers as well. When I first installed the card, I had my displays running off the AMD card. I didn't notice any real performance increase, and Mac OS didn't recognize the Nvidia card at all. I was about to pull the card out and send it back, but I plugged the displays back into the Nvidia Card and rebooted. Mac OS recognized both cards, and the performance increase was seriously through the roof. Applications like FCPX and DaVanci Resovle recognize both cards and utilize both cards in rendering and performance.

can you clarify for me?
you have a monitor connected to each card, or is it plugged into the nvidia card, with the amd without output, just providing openCL acceleration?

Why don't you remove 980Ti WebDriver? The RX580 is more than enough under macOS.

If you have the 980Ti in there for Windows purposes, just use it in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back