Contribute
Register

Using a Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface...HELP

Oh well, with this new release from Presonus, I think I understand why it fails under Mojave…

There is no 10.14.7 so I guess they messed with Catalina 10.15.7…
IMG_3274.jpeg

Presonus recently released Universal Control 4.2.0.96206. I am happy to report it works fine with Quantum TB interfaces under Ventura 13.5 (22G74). I had a few hiccups under Ventura mainly due to DMAR tables being a bit wonky so if you run into troubles make sure you follow the Thunderbolt hotplug and VT-d guides. Always check for AppleVTD being available under AppleACPIPlatformExpert in IORegistryExplorer.
Hi @The LT,

Ive been using my Presonus 4848 in side chain with a UAD Twin for almost 3 years. I decided to upgrade my system, to a Gigabyte Aero G z790 + 13700k + Titan ridge v1.
Thunderbolt is working, my call digit dock works, my UAD as well
But even after Tunelling the plist the quantum 4848 is not being recognized by the system. Universal controls recognize it. Blue light is on, but cant change any settings nor select it in the system as audio out
Bios: all thunderbolt option enabled with no security
VT-d enabled and confirmed with IOReg

PLease if you can help me I would greately appreciat it

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 13.54.21.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 13.54.21.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 13.57.14.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 13.57.14.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 13.57.42.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 13.57.42.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 16
Hi @The LT,

Ive been using my Presonus 4848 in side chain with a UAD Twin for almost 3 years. I decided to upgrade my system, to a Gigabyte Aero G z790 + 13700k + Titan ridge v1.
Thunderbolt is working, my call digit dock works, my UAD as well
But even after Tunelling the plist the quantum 4848 is not being recognized by the system. Universal controls recognize it. Blue light is on, but cant change any settings nor select it in the system as audio out
Bios: all thunderbolt option enabled with no security
VT-d enabled and confirmed with IOReg

PLease if you can help me I would greately appreciat it
Are you using some TB2 to TB3 adapter of some sort? I would guess yes but maybe you could try a TB3 dock to connect the Quantum? Or try an older Universal Control driver? I know someone (here or elsewhere) that downgraded the Presonus driver to an older version and, even if it wasn’t supposed to support a newer MacOS, it worked. It was the 3.5.2.65533 if I remember correctly.

Which UC version are you running and which MacOS?

EDIT: found the post, here on this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...io-interface-help.226705/page-36#post-2374699

Last edited:
Are you using some TB2 to TB3 adapter of some sort? I would guess yes but maybe you could try a TB3 dock to connect the Quantum? Or try an older Universal Control driver? I know someone (here or elsewhere) that downgraded the Presonus driver to an older version and, even if it wasn’t supposed to support a newer MacOS, it worked. It was the 3.5.2.65533 if I remember correctly.

Which UC version are you running and which MacOS?

EDIT: found the post, here on this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...io-interface-help.226705/page-36#post-2374699
Thanks @brousseau6933 ,

Yes I am using the adapter. In my old setup I had it like this: titan ridge - Call Digit TS3 DOCK - Quantum 4848 - UAD Apollo Twin
All daisy chained

Universal Control: v4.2.0.96206
open core: 0.9.8
macOS: 13.6.4

funfact: when I throw my SSDT-Thunderbolt, SSDT- DTGP and SSDT-DMAR to my ACPI Folder it stops working completely. Intead of obtaining hotplug, nothing is recognized. But when I take them all out (this 3 SSDT's) everything is recognized (without hotplug).

I'll try downgrading the UC driver.

thanks

I'll try downgrading the UC driver.
A little upgrade, but still not there...

Now, I downgraded to UC 3.5.2 and IOPCITunnelled the info.plist. Blue light on as before, and recognize by UC as before, but now I can see the sample rate, firmware and serial numer, this is something I couldn´t see with the newest UC. But cant change sample rate from the UC software, and is not being recognized by the computer....

Any word of wisdom out there @brousseau6933 @The LT ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.15.42.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.15.42.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.19.59.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.19.59.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 17
A little upgrade, but still not there...

Now, I downgraded to UC 3.5.2 and IOPCITunnelled the info.plist. Blue light on as before, and recognize by UC as before, but now I can see the sample rate, firmware and serial numer, this is something I couldn´t see with the newest UC. But cant change sample rate from the UC software, and is not being recognized by the computer....

Any word of wisdom out there @brousseau6933 @The LT ?
Sorry, I don’t have any other idea… :(

**Did you added back the SSDT-Thunderbolt, SSDT- DTGP and SSDT-DMAR?

Sorry, I don’t have any other idea… :(

**Did you added back the SSDT-Thunderbolt, SSDT- DTGP and SSDT-DMAR?
Yes but the minute a throw in the DTGP it stops recognizing every thunderbolt device

Oh well, I am unfortunately clueless... :(
Success! It was the sucure boot and DMG loading.

Secure Boot: Default
DMG loading: Signed
Latest UC version + Tunneled
TB hotplug
(In my case, no need of fixing DMAR)

Working perfectly in Sonoma 14.4

Only downside, no airdrop, since fenvi requires SecureBoot: Disable and DMG loading: Any
I switched to the internal Intel AX211 of the Aero G Z790

Success! It was the sucure boot and DMG loading.

Secure Boot: Default
DMG loading: Signed
Latest UC version + Tunneled
TB hotplug
(In my case, no need of fixing DMAR)

Working perfectly in Sonoma 14.4

Only downside, no airdrop, since fenvi requires SecureBoot: Disable and DMG loading: Any
I switched to the internal Intel AX211 of the Aero G Z790
Congrats and good to know!

Back