Contribute
Register

Using a Hackintosh mini deluxe build in a Toolcase with Mainstage 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77N-WIFI, Kingston Hyperx SSD, corsair 16GB Samsung SSD (Sierra)
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
None
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to share with you in this lengthy article my experience so far using my Hackintosh (a Mac system built legally with PC components, see www.tonymacx86.com/‎) with Mainstage 3 as a keyboardist in a professional setting. This is my first “Mac” after having used Windows and Linux (Avlinux, still love it) OSes for years. Mainstages versatility and ease of use AND price are just unmatched! But I don't think it suits everyone, especially onstage.
09Hackintosh_8a.jpg Screen Shot 2014-02-28 at 3.27.13 AM.png

You can find a lot of questions about reliability around, so in order to quickly answer your first question: “Is it reliable?”, my answer is “Yes, with a big BUT”! First of all Version 3 seems to be more stable than V2 from what I've read. The Hackintosh part can be an extra added problem, but doesn't need to. My experience: NEVER update anything before a gig without proper testing. You have to test everything AND check everything with every change or update you make in order to avoid bad surprises on stage (Steve Porcaro of TOTO had a Mainstage crash with his Macbook pro while on stage!). This can be time consuming. My current 61 Mainstage Patches sometimes have up to 9 channel strips each and contain a multitude of virtual instruments. It actually occupies 5.3 GB of RAM, it takes 36 sec to start up and 7 sec to shut down with my SSD HDD.

My main reasons for building my own suitcase or rather toolcase Mac are financial, but also the fun of such a project. How much would a Macbook pro cost with 6 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, an i5 3570K, 19” screen, 250GB SSD and 16GB of RAM? The whole project did cost me about €800. Also many synths come with their own specific color or character. The palette of sounds you can get is much wider than with many expensive synthesizers and I'm a sound whore. Up until a point that I spend way more time on programming a sound than preparing an actual song.Unless you have a roady or you like to show off it is a lot of stuff to carry around and expensive. With the multitude of softsynths available you have a multitude of possibilities within one portable machine. Often when I rehearse there are already 2 keyboards available. I only have to carry my 10kg suitcase with 2 midi USB interfaces, that's it!

If you stick with the native presets within Mainstage, it is 100% reliable (except version 3.0.2 which gives you a constant CPU spike). But once you start adding VST or AU instruments and add more patches, your clarity of programming presets might become less apparent and your obtained reliability becomes less than 100%, which is unacceptable! Mainstage still does what you are asking to do, but the chance of error become bigger. Every Mainstage Concert is divided up into patches, which are divided into channel strips. It is at the channel strip where you can mess up a complicated setup with different VST instruments. Once you find out that some plugin is causing Mainstage to crash, uninstall it right away.
The way a Mac is structured doesn't really help either:
You have to access your Library folder very frequently, but there are 2 of them, your system Library folder (hidden, needs a password to make changes) ie /Library/Preferences and your Home Library folder ie /Users/Uname/Library/Preferences. Different VST's are using either the one, the other or both and that is confusing.

My most frequently used VST/Au instruments:
1.Modartt Pianoteq 4 for piano, rhodes and clavinet. Rock solid and very expressive, used it within Windows, Linux and Mac, never ever crashed, uses very little resources, easy to program.
2. Lounge Lizard ep-4 more sparkling rhodes than pianoteq, rocksolid, few resources
3. Arturia Analog Lab. Incredible value for money. Unfortunately the dongle key eats up one of my USB ports.
Presets in my Documents folder continually got lost, in the end I've put them in /Users/Uname/Library/Audio/Presets/Arturia/Analog Lab. If you want to assign CC's you have to do this first separately in the standalone version.
4. Sylenth1, THE synth for dance music, but also more troublesome on a Mac. Mainstage cannot natively read VST instruments AND is 64bits. Sylenth is 32bits VST only. There is a workaround though: a plugin called JBridge converts it into a 64 readable format and DDMF's Metaplugin converts it into a format that is readable for Mainstage. I kept on losing my channel strip presets, but now that I've put them within one soundbank (fxb file) in /Users/Uname/Library/Preferences/LennarDigital/Sylenth1 AND I've saved my Metaplugin patches in /Users/Uname/Library/Audio/Presets/Ddmf/ (aupreset file), I can quickly correct a possible problem. One of my patches has 6 parallel Sylenth1 strips. As soon as the Au-version or 64bits version comes out, I will be the first to buy it.
5. Ausampler, native within Mainstage, sample player, replaced my Korg Microstation. It can be confusing where to store your patches and if lost you have to start all over making your patch.
Aupreset files go to /Users/Uname/Library/Audio/Presets/Apple/AUSampler.
Extra solution: I've programmed a program change on my midi controller for every channel strip in case a patch is not right

The extra problems you can expect nowadays with a Hackintosh have become negligable, but you have to be a little bit of a nerd. Still at this point I've had one of the worst moments in my career where I've almost had a heart attack: After having checked everything in the afternoon, I did an I-tunes update just before leaving and I went on to a gig. Sound check: no sound at all and no internet!! Luckily it was 5km away from my home. I had exactly 1 hour to go back home, find and resolve the problem and be back onstage in time. I did manage! Somehow Itunes had thrown out my sound driver. A simple Multibeast re-install did the job. Still I didn't have fun playing that evening.
My USB 3.0 connections have to be connected before starting up before getting recognised. Whenever I loose my ethernet connection I have to do a restart.

As of Feb 2014 I'm having currently a problem with Maverick combined with Mainstage. After some time I get a “bitcrusher” sound, after which the volume slowly fades down to 0 and I have to do a restart. This happens only in this combination, all other programs are no problem at all. I don't think it is Hackintosh related. Mountain Lion appears more stable in this sense, so I have a separate SSD for my band only. I physically disconnect my ML SSD whenever I start my Maverick disk, because it did mess up my ML disk twice.
Once Mainstage did start within Mountain Lion I've never EVER experienced a crash, it happens only when changing your audio system settings from say, line out to USB. Hard to tell if JBridge, Metaplugin or the actual Plugins are the cause, but I'd say they are not the best threesome.

It's been a year that I've started playing with my actual band. It's a good local 5 member band with a repertoire of 200+ songs aimed at age groups 14-85 years. We really play our sets non-stop. The main vocalist has an extra mic to announce the next song coming up to our in-ear monitors. For About 70% I've programmed a specific unique patch. The amount of money coming in was and still is somewhat uncertain, so I was not going to spend thousands on new equipment. Also my PC died right before, so I needed something new.
I built a custom mini deluxe setup as described on TonyMac, using a Gigabit GA-Z77N motherboard with an Intel i5 3570K processor, 16GB of Ram and a 250 GB SSD. I've used an old ATX computer case and cut it up into pieces with metal scissors in order to use the cut out pieces for building my own PC in a standard tool suitcase (with the aluminum outside). In the lid I could fit in an old 19” monitor that I already owned. It took me about a week of thinking, working and fitting.
So it was quite a bit of work, but I am still very happy about the result and it was fun. I now have a device with 8 usb outs of which 2 USB 3.0. I can close the whole suitcase and can connect an external monitor if I want, because there are 3 fans with controllable speed an a processor thermometer. If I ever want to upgrade it will be a piece of cake.
I have a breakout SATA/power cable, which allows me to swap HDD's in a split second and allows me to have a Mac, Linux or Windows OS (the latter starts up in 17sec!)
Other gear I use: an old Roland A-90 master keyboard (still really great but very heavy to carry along without a roady!), a Korg Microstation (incredible value for money but no real suitable sounds for Dancemusic), a tiny Icon I-controls midi-controller, a Behringer Q502 mixer (USB connected to PC). I-ve tie-ripped all cables to an Ultimate Keyboard-stand for speeding up my setup on a gig or rehearsal. I use a M-audio Uno and a E-MU XMidiX1 midi usb controller. This allows me to connect to whichever keyboard without having to change the settings within Mainstage.
Moreover I use a sustain pedal and two footcontrollers (one for Volume, CC=7, one for Filter CC=74)
01Metal scissors.jpg01Suitcase empty.jpg02Fitting in5.jpg03Fitting in.jpg04Fitting in2.jpg05Fitting in3.jpg06Fitting in4.jpg07HDD mount.jpg08Suitcase closed.jpg10SATA.jpg11Fan grill.jpg12Fan switch.jpg13Power button.jpg14Power button 2.png14Thermometer.jpg15Lid.jpg

Awesome post!

There's a good possibility I may be throwing a rig together for a tour overseas, so obviously stability would be my top priority..

In addition to MainStage, other software to be used would be Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 9 and the UAD powered plugins.

Big Question: Would you still say that Mountain Lion would be a safer bet as opposed to Mavericks?

I actually much-prefer Mountain Lion myself and believe most of the under-the-hood changes for 'improved efficiency' were geared towards the casual user, and may have an opposite effect on music professionals. :crazy:

Anyways I digress...

Here goes the following build I am thinking of going with, and is based on builds I have successfully completed in the past using the following components:

Intel i7 3770K.

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H-TH Micro ATX (Thunderbolt ports for Apollo interface).

32 GB of RAM 1600 MHz (I've gone with Corsair Vengeance in the past, but will probably go with G. Skill Ripjaws).

Samsung Evo 500GB SSD (for OS, instruments, plugins and sample library).

Noctua NH-L9i 95mm SSO2 CPU Cooler.

Corsair CX 430M.

I plan on installing everything in an iStarUSA D-213ASE-MATX 2U rack mount computer case.

For an audio interface I plan on using a Universal Audio Apollo 8 channel interface, which would be perfect because the band plans on using 8 keyboards, which I could apply UAD plugin effects without incurring noticeable latency. Also for added stability, the interface would be connecting via Thunderbolt.

Lastly, I would be using a Gator Case G-PROR-4U-19 which would fit both the computer and interface while leaving a rack-space open for ventilation purposes.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I have never used MainStage myself...

Thanks in advance!

Sorry B-San, haven't been on this post for a while!

Update:

Just played last weekend in a soccer stadium in front of 10.000 people with my "Hackycase"!
I haven't had any major issues in a while and after the first update of Yosemite my system is very stable. The monitor has some color issues, but that is something which is easy to replace.
My concert patch for Mainstage still is about 7GB of RAM, so you absolutely need a SSD disk, or you'll be waiting forever to be ready to play.
My keyboards are a Casio PX-5S (great touch, good sound and lightweight) and a Korg taktile triton

Some particularities:
-I use a Behringer USB mixer which is nicely attached with tie rips and cables to my ultimate keyboard stand. Whenever I unplug and startup , the Audio Midi Setup goes back to its default setting and this can cause a (MAJOR) conflict when starting up Mainstage, up till the point that Mainstage crashes continuously. I'm using the computer's audio in for my vocoder with a simple Philips condensator mic.
So make sure that whenever you startup AND close down MS, better have all settings to your preferred settings beforehand.
Trick: Make a simple concert patch for every sound setting within MS in case it crashes, so that you can at least open a "wrong" patch and change the MS audio settings in its preference settings. Alternatively, remove the file com.apple.mainstage3.plist from ˜/library/preferences and restart the computer in case of a MS crash.

-With a lot of USB devices connected, you might get an annoying ground loop. The cheapest solution might be to replace the USB cable on your keyboard by a MIDI to USB interface. Otherwise buy a (passive) DI box (I purchased a stereo Radial DI box).

-Most of the time I don't need to switch on the extra fans, but with a lot of computing going on and many programs open, I sometimes get a warning for overheating. So my temperature sensor really comes in handy when needed.

-I've added an extra SSD, at the time of writing you better have at least 500GB of SSD space. 16GB of RAM is still ok.

-MS prefers its own EXS sampler patches and with the recently added Apple audio sampler it is a breeze to import your preferred hardware synthesizer sounds into MS.

-In parallel I have a hackintoshed ASUS K53E (Mavericks,i7, 8GB, 2 SSD's, one instead of the cd player in a dock tray) for a smaller, quicker and lighter setup. It is not quick enough, so instead I make a separate patch for every song.
Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 14.43.36.jpg

Excellent work there!
I am slowly coming round to the idea of doing exactly the same thing.

Every 5 years or so I build a beast of a machine, to give me, well , another 5 years of decent machine. Ideally I'd like to recreate your "laptop" with latest stuff, so to that end I have a few questions: Whats your view on these changes...

(For Mainstage 3)
  • I have MAudio 410 soundcard- Firewire 400 (plenty good for what I use), so need Firewire PCIe too
  • THis is purely a live music thing - not interested in word processing etc, but I DO want Wifi and Safari on there for googling stuff, emails, smut etc
  • I'd love NO MOVING PARTS on the MoBo - even better if none required AT ALL - how does the new Haswell processors stack up? What about the small form factor ready-made barebones Intel NUC ?
  • Live- use a USB powered touchscreen
  • Smaller SSD for internal fit and external SSD 500Gb for samples via SATA maybe? - or Thunderbolt?
  • 16Gb RAM
  • PCI expansion capability for future graphocs card - not needed at present, but future possibility
All I am interested in is raw power. It doesnt need to look pretty or be tiny, but it DOES need to be robust (I gig a lot)
And I'd really like it to be all-in-one solution so a NUC option with Haswell chipset would be a better option for heat dissipation I reckon.

THoughts welcomed!

Hi.
Can someone tell me how to install mainstage 3 on laptop with windows 8 or 10.

Will be using focusrite 18i20 and Roland a800 pro both in usb.(was reading about usb issues above, thought mentioning this is needed)

Is it must that I have to install whole hackintosh rather mainstage

@wokawonka have you had any problems with MainStage 3 I can't get mines to open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back