XFX Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I just upgraded to Mavericks, and I have a SSD for my OS/Applications and a 1tb HDD for my user drive. My system has been like this since day one (over two years ago).

After installing Mavericks I signed into my account, and none of my stuff was there. It was like a brand new account. I realized, however, the the "mount point" for my user HDD had changed.

It had been: /The Shiv

It changed to: /The Shiv 1

I went into Users --> Advanced Options and updated the Home Directory to this new mount point. Upon reboot it failed to load. Luckily I have a backup drive as part of my system, so I logged in under a different user and pointed the Home Directory to the back up.

I'm back in on the back up, and I just re-formatted my user HDD expecting to get the mount point to change back to "The Shiv" (I re-formatted it with the same name). It didn't work. It kept the "1".

What's going on here? At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter if there's a "1" there or not, but it's really strange. I've never had this happen to me on an upgrade before.

Thoughts?!

Thanks,
Shiv

I've been poking around and I think I discovered something.

It seems that somewhere in the upgrading process a new folder got created under the "Volumes" folder, and, wait for it, this new folder is called "The Shiv."

The only reason I saw it is because I'm trying to sync Google Drive back up and I could see it through that, but I think they're hidden files because when I open finder I don't see "Volumes" at the root. I also can't seem up show hidden files for some reason...

Really strange, and really kind of annoying.

Here's a screen shot of what I see when Google Drive wants me to link the Google Drive folder. This is NOT a screen shot of my actual finder window. It's what I see when working with Google Drive.

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.02.56 AM.png

I have tried for hours to "show hidden files," and I cannot show them no matter what I try. I want/need to be able to delete that folder. It's not doing anything but messing up my system.

Does anyone know how to find a folder and delete it without being able to see it? Or is there some system setting that I'm not aware of that's forcing that folder to exist?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back