i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
ive been running my lovely 'tosh without a case forever now.... stylish and amusing... until....

i dropped a lithium ion battery with bare terminals onto the motherboard and now it appears rather dead........
looking online in uk i am really surprised at the cost of these legacy boards as I'm sure i got this one rather inexpensively not so very long ago....
this one is a GA-X58A-UD3R and used prices are beyond $200 and hard to find......
anyone got something hanging around or can point me in a good direction?

it's tempting to just update to a new architecture but thats another level of expense i just can't get to right now........
damn....

any thoughts much appreciated.
ta
wp

Last edited:
thanks GB, but yes, thats where i looked first.... I'm in UK btw, so even the best of those are prohibitive due to shipping.....

really curious about the generic boards you found tho... no idea if we could use them and rather under-specced too but curious nevertheless

thanks GB, but yes, thats where i looked first.... I'm in UK btw, so even the best of those are prohibitive due to shipping.....

really curious about the generic boards you found tho... no idea if we could use them and rather under-specced too but curious nevertheless
You might try a refurb Dell T5500. Has been done before - see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...00-quadro4000-xeon-x5680-macos10-12-x.215070/

This shop will build one for you for under £200
http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/refurbished-workstations/dell/precision-t5500/

hahahahaha perhaps you are a mind reader as of all the machines to consider i actually have an unused one that I have uni beast on right now... can't find a mouse anywhere tonight tho...

i will want to get the other one working again tho as the processor is still fantastic for heavy tasks and it was full loaded 24gb ram etc etc maybe even sell it on as a working unit.. its really time to try a newer generation of processors perhaps.....

yup... mine has been a dream apart from the still rarely shutting down cleanly..... i guess i shouldn't have dropped that battery in it...... appears to be shut down for good

funny how things work out.......
i have set up a dusty old dell t5500 into a new 10.12.5 power machine....
and then discovered that i had been too hasty in writing off my gigabyte board which is also working again.... hahaha
check and then check again and.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back