Contribute
Register

Use Time Machine on a NTFS formatted 3TB EXT-HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure how I did it, early with Lion 10.7 I installed it on an MBR partition (using nawcom MBR patch), and didn't have to delete the whole harddisk.

so i suggest, repartition the drive with windows: shrink the current partition and create a partition for Mac OS formatted as FAT32 (or exFat), then from Lion installer, try doing an "Erase" with Disk Utility for that partition and format it as HFS+

I think I see what you did...I'll try that...so Mac will be able to re-format a FAT32 partition to HFS+J without deleting the partition?

The mistake I think I made is I shrunk the drive but left it as a free space and didn't partition it...thinking mac would be able to partition the free space - did I assume wrong?

matthew1111xbx said:
I think I see what you did...I'll try that...so Mac will be able to re-format a FAT32 partition to HFS+J without deleting the partition?

The mistake I think I made is I shrunk the drive but left it as a free space and didn't partition it...thinking mac would be able to partition the free space - did I assume wrong?

Seems so, I just checked and it seems the option to reformat a partition as HFS+ is available for Mac OS, even if the partition on an MBR drive, I just didn't format because I need my drive :)

So, what was I to do again like step by step?

Note: Usually my Mac has to reformat the whole drive to format it. (Like delete)

I didn't execute this now, because I don't have drives to delete, but I guess doing this will not delete the other partitions.

While, if you select the main drive, and select the "Partition" tab, everything will be deleted.

mcbyte_it said:
I didn't execute this now, because I don't have drives to delete, but I guess doing this will not delete the other partitions.

While, if you select the main drive, and select the "Partition" tab, everything will be deleted.

This is a good idea :p
I'll try it, do you think Mac will be seeing the correct size of a smaller partition, although overall it sees a greater size than is actually there?
I'll try it now.

Okay so I'm on my windows and here is a screenie:

I can't seem to right click on the free space and format it. Is there a way to use diskpart.exe and format that free space? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    84 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back