Contribute
Register

Use SSD for installation and HDD for storage, how do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770
Graphics
GeForce GTX 650
I have a working Hackintosh running 10.8.4, Windows 7, and Linux Mint from two hard drives. I received a (an?) SSD for Christmas and I want to install the operating systems on it (and update to Mavericks at the same time), so that boot times are faster (it's really only an issue with Win7 but it couldn't hurt); and then continue to use the two HDD's for everything else (my music and movies for my OS X install; games for my Windows installation)

I'm unsure how to go about this, so any assistance would be appreciated.
System specs:

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
Intel Core i7 3770
GeForce GTX 650
SSD is a 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO

I have a working Hackintosh running 10.8.4, Windows 7, and Linux Mint from two hard drives. I received a (an?) SSD for Christmas and I want to install the operating systems on it (and update to Mavericks at the same time), so that boot times are faster (it's really only an issue with Win7 but it couldn't hurt); and then continue to use the two HDD's for everything else (my music and movies for my OS X install; games for my Windows installation)

I'm unsure how to go about this, so any assistance would be appreciated.
System specs:

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
Intel Core i7 3770
GeForce GTX 650
SSD is a 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO
Best to put one OS on each drive.
What is the current drive arrangement? Which are sharing a drive? BTW, that SSD is too small for all 3 OS's.

Currently, the setup is as follows:

Mountain Lion on its own 1 TB drive
Windows 7 and Linux Mint (and a Swap partition for Mint) on a second 1 TB drive.

What I'd like to do is install ONLY the operating systems on the SSD, and use the HDDs as storage for them; I'm just not sure how to do that.

I know that having each on its own drive is generally a better idea, but I'm not too concerned with that. (plus my Windows/Linux drive is running out of space)

I have an SSD for OSX and mapped the user directories to the hard drive in the machine.

Used this guide.

Hope it helps for you as well, even if in your case the HD needs to be partitioned for the other OS data.

Currently, the setup is as follows:

Mountain Lion on its own 1 TB drive
Windows 7 and Linux Mint (and a Swap partition for Mint) on a second 1 TB drive.

What I'd like to do is install ONLY the operating systems on the SSD, and use the HDDs as storage for them; I'm just not sure how to do that.

I know that having each on its own drive is generally a better idea, but I'm not too concerned with that. (plus my Windows/Linux drive is running out of space)

OK, if you think you gotta, be aware than Win8 needs about 40Gb just for the installation and OS X needs about 10-12. Not sure what Linux Mint requires, so format your SSD with OS X disk utility accordingly, leaving enough free space on the end of the drive for LM. For installing OS X and Win8 see http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html .
There are links in the guide for installing on same drive for moving users and app data to a separate drive.
The thing to remember when adding LM to the end of the SSD is to select "Something Else" at the install screen and make sure you put Grub2 in the root directory or create a small /boot partition for it so Chimera can see it and you do not screw up the boot sector for the Windows and Chimera boot files.

Good luck with it. If having problems getting it all to work together post in the MultiBooting forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back