CPU
i5-750
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I have two 250GB HDDs and one 500GB HDD. I would like to use the 500GB drive for a backup. The two 250GB drives I would like to make into two RAID0 arrays, one 350GB array for Mac and one 150GB array for Windows 7.

I currently have RAID0 working for Mac, but it's software RAID in Mac OSX.

What I would like to do is use the "eXtreme Hard Drive" or RAID (rather than AHCI) setting in the BIOS, but I wasn't sure this would be possible to boot Mac with. Is there a way to make it work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mac won't support the "hardware" raid you desire. It will only allow a software raid via the OS.

seanmcd72 said:
Mac won't support the "hardware" raid you desire. It will only allow a software raid via the OS.

Bummer. I guess that answers my question then.

So if I have to do the software RAID like I'm already doing in Mac, if there a way to do RAID in Windows like I want?

On my p55a-ud3 hardware raid 0 works well.

Recognized as one drive no issue. Works great!

raid-0.png

This is good news. Unfortunately I took seanmcd72 word and set it up as software RAID. I'm still going to try the hardware raid though.

I wouldn't try installing windows on the same raid .. :p

raid-0.png

Wait, why wouldn't you try installing windows on that RAID?

uPaymeiFixit said:

raid-0.png

This is good news. Unfortunately I took seanmcd72 word and set it up as software RAID. I'm still going to try the hardware raid though.
Sorry! :eek: All this time I thought it wouldn't boot from raid 0 for some reason...

I actually did a lot of researching today and found that every mention said that the hardware RAID controllers on the UD2 do not work with a hackintosh. If you guys are still confident though, I will still try it.

I can confirm it works for my GA-P55A-UD3 but I haven't try it on my other system (media center connected to tv) running on a ssd.

Then I guess I will be testing it myself then. I don't know when though.

I just installed Windows 7 on a RAID 0 array and have been running Snow Leopard for awhile on its own separate disc. Now when I boot into Snow Leopard I get a warning that it cannot detect two of my hard drives. Is there a way to stop getting this warning or get Snow Leopard to detect my RAID 0 Windows installation?

Okay here is what I have done so far:
I cloned my software RAID array to another 500GB drive.
Changed the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" to "RAID/IDE" (PCH is AHCI)
Moved the two 250GB drives to the white GSATA ports.
Used the Gigabyte RAID tool to set them up.
Started with the iBoot disc into the 500GB clone.

Results:
When I start it shows that both 250GB drives could not be initialized, so I went to Disk Utility and noticed that it recognizes both 250GB drives as regular hard drives, I think they were mounted too.

Useless information:
So I realized that I will have to set up the whole RAID thing again, which was kind of a pain. I think by not having those startup partitions all my kexts or DST or whatever I am using (my true noobieness shows) are not being loaded because I have no input. None of the USB ports are working, but the ethernet is. The rest I haven't checked. Because there was no USB I couldn't use my keyboard and mouse, and for some reason screen sharing didn't work (said I had the wrong password, but it worked for files) so I had to resort to SSH... that was fun.

What I'm going to try:
Switching the 500GB and DVD to GSATA and the 2x250GB to regular SATA.
Make the RAID array using Intel Rapid Storage Technology, or whatever it's called.
Hope... there will be lots of hoping for me, little hope, lots of hoping.

Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back