Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm in the market for a new 2TB M.2 SSD, and I am wondering if I can futureproof by purchasing a NVMe 4 stick to use in my current Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 NVMe 3 mobo until we get compatible hardware for PCIe 4. Obviously, it would not reach the ridiculous speeds of 4.0, but that's not a concern.

Similar boat here, just installed a Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 and getting 2,700 MB/s read & writes on an old z170-E. Hopefully soon getting a Z390 and expecting improved speeds, but that may be wishful thinking until PCIe 4 arrives.

I'm in the market for a new 2TB M.2 SSD, and I am wondering if I can futureproof by purchasing a NVMe 4 stick to use in my current Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 NVMe 3 mobo until we get compatible hardware for PCIe 4. Obviously, it would not reach the ridiculous speeds of 4.0, but that's not a concern.
Did you end up getting this? Did it work?

Similar boat here, just installed a Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 and getting 2,700 MB/s read & writes on an old z170-E. Hopefully soon getting a Z390 and expecting improved speeds, but that may be wishful thinking until PCIe 4 arrives.

@tmaxxtigger,

Hey there. I am on my final decision making for a 2TB NVME drive (OP is there for info) and I wonder about the Sabrent Rocket NVMe 2TB.

Is it working flawlessly in your setup ? Are you happy with it ?

And I have some questions too, I hope you will find the time to answer them:
  • Does the build with the Sabrent Rocket NVMe 2TB is a dual boot with Windows ?
  • Does the Sabrent Rocket NVMe 2TB is your system SSD for MAC OS ?
  • What MAC OS version do you run on the Sabrent Rocket NVMe 2TB ?
I Thank you in advance for you time.

Cheers,

M.

If dual booting, it is strongly recommended to use a separate drive, else you stand a pretty good chance of having problems. I use an older SSD for my Windows 10 and have had no problems that way.
Yes, I use the Sabrent 2TB for MacOS.
Installed Catalina 10.15.4 and have updated to 10.15.6.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back