Graphics
EVGA GTX670FTW
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have recently purchased a PowerMacG5 with 2 250GB SATA drives, which are blank.

I have a copy of 10.5, but no way to install it as PPC's do not boot from usb, and the super drive wont read dual layers

SOOOO, could I then install one of the 250GB drives in my Hackintosh, mount my OSX 10.5 install, and then make it install leopard on the drive after formatting it to the correct format? I think 10.8.3 which is what my hackintosh runs, will not allow me to install towards a non bootable format, such as APM, which is what I need for my PPC PowerMacG5, so could I format it guid, install osx 10.5, then clone the drive to another drive formatted APM?

Are there any pointers of how to accomplish this?

The macBook Air came with 10.5 and without a DVD drive and let you install the system from a USB DVD drive or over a wifi network (Remote Disc feature) if I'm not mistaken. So could you not just boot the powerMac pressing the Option key and choose the installation DVD mounted on your hackintosh?

Alternatively, you could put one of the powerMac HDD in your hackintosh, format it in two partitions (with the legacy disk format, so not GUID but GPT I believe): one sized to fit the installation DVD and the other with the remaining space. You restore the DVD on the smaller partition using Disk Utilities, so that you can boot from it when you put the HDD back into your powerMac.

If your hackintosh has firewire, you can put the powerMac in TargetDisk mode (press T during boot?) rather than taking out the HDD. It should mount on your mackintosh desktop and let you reformat and/or partition it at will, if memory does not fail me. It may even work over USB. I have not done any of these in ages, so I may well be wrong.

Hope this helps and does not come too late...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back