Contribute
Register

Use Chimera to boot win7 when installed on same drive as OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Right now I edited the win7 bootloader with BCD (BCD IS NOT A BOOTLOADER, It just allows easy editing Win7's boot.ini).

So I set it up so Chimera has a 2 second delay until it boots OSX automatically. I also hit my other partitions so only OSX and Win7 show up. I modified Win7's bootloader to have a 2 second delay also and have OSX as default. It works, but I rather just use Chimera because it's nicer looking with the default theme.

I been searching and reading many threads and still I'm not sure how to accomplish it.

I got a GPT/MBR hybrid, the drive has 0: EFI System parition, 1: OSX, 2: Win7.
There is not a MS Reserved partition on my install because I pre-partitioned it in OSX.

Is it possible to just have Chimera boot first, then If I want Win7, I just arrow over and select it (then I would just modify Win7 to a instant boot).

Chamera should boot first, if you choose OSX as your startup volumn ( in OSX, System Preference -> Startup Volumn. When you turn your PC on, you should see Chimera and OSX will boot in a few seconds,if you press one arrow key you can select your windows partition.

No Win7 bootloader loads first, as I installed OSX, then Win7. I'm going to see if removing the Active flag from the Win7 partition will cause Chimera to load first.

Edit: I figured it out. I don't know what steps are actually needed but I think just reinstalling chimera with the standalone installer did it. If it didn't, I unmarked Win7 as the active and made the efi active instead, installed chimera, booted the win7 dvd since win7 couldn't boot. used diskpart to make win7 active again, then ran bootrec /rebuildbcd.

Rebooted, Chimera loads first, then I can select Win7 and it loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back