Contribute
Register

USB WiFi Dongles - The Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just popped in the Newer Tech card that's on sale at macsales.com for $27.50.

It's got two antennas and appears to do 130 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz just fine. It uses the RT2780 chipset and the same RALink drivers and wireless utility.

So far it's double the awesome of the Linksys WUSB100 v2 I was using which only had 1 antenna and maxed at 65 Mbps.

So, I highly recommend the Newer Tech. Cheap, effective.

I'm trying to use this digicom wifi dongle
PalladioUsbBluetooth10Cx.gif

it uses zydas zd1211 chipset. On the description avaible on user guide it's full compatible with mac os x, but official driver on digicom website support just 32 bits system.
Is there any kext official or not that support fully this dongle on 64 bit snow leopard ?

I need help connecting to the internet with a Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 wireless dongle. I'm in 10.6.6, the dongle uses the 3070 chip, and I do not know whether or not this device worked on previous versions of OS X as this is my first Hackintosh.

In brief, I've downloaded the latest drivers, the wireless utility opens up, I can see, connect to, and create a profile for my network, but I can't connect to the internet when I open Safari. I can even see that I'm sending and receiving packets to/from my router, which is an airport express with the latest firmware.

I have the RT2870USBWirelessDriver and RealtekR1000SL in my S/L/E.

Any suggestions? Perhaps two drivers are claiming the USB dongle?

For completeness, here are all the things I've attempted to connect to the internet:

The dongle was working on other machines on the network, so using ipconfig from one of those machines (windows) I gathered the appropriate LAN info then manually set the network settings. Using an appropriate ip address (within the range the router) and a DNS server matching my other machine, I was still unable to connect to the internet.

I've tried my ISP's dns servers, but that won't connect me to the internet.

I made sure that in the network settings that there aren't multiple locations trying to connect to the network.

I've uninstalled the Ralink utility and used the utility/drivers from the Rosewill website for 10.6.4 but that has the exact same result.

I've turned off authentication on my router but that didn't work.

I've powered my router and modem on and off to no avail.

All these attempts result in the same thing: I can connect to my router, create a profile for it, then witness traffic going between it and my computer, yet I can't connect to the internet.

Hmm. Seems like there are wifi problems in general with 10.6.6.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 9&tstart=0

Anybody out there have a previously functioning dongle that no longer works since upgrading to 10.6.6? I'm considering going to 10.6.5 to see if I can't get my wireless to work there.

I don't know if it counts but I use an old LINKSYS WRT54G v8 router as bridge and conected to the Hack via ethernet. Is a good solution. Plus I get conection for the xbox that is at the same room! ;)

lautarol said:
I don't know if it counts but I use an old LINKSYS WRT54G v8 router as bridge and conected to the Hack via ethernet. Is a good solution. Plus I get conection for the xbox that is at the same room! ;)

I'm having trouble getting my wusb to work so I was thinking of doing this as well since I've got a linksys wrt54g vX laying around. How did you go about setting this up? I'm not quite sure how to get it into bridge mode... did you have to flash to a different firmware?

I can also confirm that the Zonet ZEW2546 dongle from O M R's post is working in 10.6.6. I'm on a 64 bit install and not running in safe mode.

Installation was effortless. I installed the 10.6 driver, restarted my computer, plugged in the dongle, allowed it to configure its ip automatically, and boom my internet was working.

Thank you for posting the info, O M R. It gave me the assurance that there was a better than not chance that the dongle would work.

I bought this adapter (EDIMAX EW-7718Un) from Newegg. I've read it has it's own mac drivers. The same goes for asus n10 or something. Once this arrives next week. I'll just replace my other pci adapter (asus pce-n13) with this adapter.

o m r said:
Working dongle to submit:

Zonet ZEW2546 IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter, up to 300Mbps
http://www.zonetusa.com/products-207.aspx
I got this thing for a steal during some newegg sales. Actually bought 2 'cause they were so cheap at that time. Also works well under windows7, but I couldn't instal and use zonet's utility under win7 x64. Utility worked under winXP, but the speed was always at g limits (54mbps). There is no proprietary utility for mac, and you don't need one. Gotten approx. 130mbps under both snow leopard and win7 x64. Higher rates using WPA/2 than WEP.

I'm running 10.6.4 with the realtek RTLl8191S driver: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=73483

Although realtek supposedly offers mac drivers for this adapter on their site, I wasn't able to download it. I found the driver in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187506

I'll try updating to 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 and post my results.

UPDATE:
The same driver seems to work fine under 10.6.6.
However, I've only tried in safe mode so far since I haven't been able to load with my ATI 5750 gpu installed otherwise... I'm sure it's fine regardless.
was it a simple install after you installedd the driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back