CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
i've purchased an Edimax EW-7811UN adapter, it's based on RTL8188CUS chip, it all installs and works as intended on my High Sierra build, however when creating network using the adapter, instead of wifi, the network is marked as Ethernet, which stops Siri recognising my location etc. i'm using wired connections for the internet and only bought the dongle for the extra functionality eg. location services.
Any idea if i can make it work or maybe spoof the connection to report as wifi for siri please ?

thanks
Seb

i've purchased an Edimax EW-7811UN adapter, it's based on RTL8188CUS chip, it all installs and works as intended on my High Sierra build, however when creating network using the adapter, instead of wifi, the network is marked as Ethernet, which stops Siri recognising my location etc. i'm using wired connections for the internet and only bought the dongle for the extra functionality eg. location services.
Any idea if i can make it work or maybe spoof the connection to report as wifi for siri please ?

thanks
Seb

It is as expected.
Apple doesn't document the WiFi driver interfaces. So anyone wishing to create a WiFi driver must emulate an Ethernet driver model instead.
It is (one reason) why most will add supported PCIe WiFi/BT hardware instead of using USB WiFi.

oh ok, thank you for the info, so basically i will have to find pcie card instead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back