Contribute
Register

USB stick seen as Internal Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
To help you sort out which port should have which USB connector Type, I have provided a few screenshots below.

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 19.18.07.png USB ports on your motherboard

Rear I-O plate USB ports.png View of Rear I/O plate with external USB ports shown

MB USB ports.png Motherboard USB ports/Headers

The only ports that should be identified as 'Internal' are the 4 ports that are available from the 2 x USB2 headers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 19.17.19.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 19.17.19.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 19.35.08.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 19.35.08.png
    641.8 KB · Views: 30
Easy :)
when I told you I'm embarrassed it was because as soon as I read your question why I set the ports to internal, I've got enlightened. At that point was really quick to fix it.
Thanks again for the help!

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 20.37.14.png

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 31
To help you sort out which port should have which USB connector Type, I have provided a few screenshots below.

View attachment 542167 USB ports on your motherboard

View attachment 542173 View of Rear I/O plate with external USB ports shown

View attachment 542170 Motherboard USB ports/Headers

The only ports that should be identified as 'Internal' are the 4 ports that are available from the 2 x USB2 headers.
I used these pictures to note the numbers of the ports. I'm actually using one of the 2 USB2 headers, for the front panel of the case as it has 2 USB2 connectors, so I identified them as USB2 and not internal.

Easy :)
when I told you I'm embarrassed it was because as soon as I read your question why I set the ports to internal, I've got enlightened. At that point was really quick to fix it.
Thanks again for the help!

View attachment 542176
would assume that HS01 to HS06 would also be set to USB3.0 ....?

You should have the following in your USBPorts.kext:
  1. Maximum of 2 x USB2 ports set with connector Type - USB2
  2. maximum of 4 x USB2 front case ports set with connector Type - Internal, assuming only one of the internal USB2 headers is in use this is reduced to 2 active ports.
  3. Maximum of 2 x Type-C ports from the internal header (possibly serving case front port), these should have the connector type - Type-c or Type-c+sw.
  4. 12 x USB3 ports (6 x Phyiscal USB3 ports and 6 x USB2 virtual ports) from the four blue ports on the rear I/O and the internal motherboard header. All should be set with connector type - USB3
  5. 2 x USB Type-c ports from rear Type-c port Asmedia PXSX ports, set with connector Type - Type-c or Type-c+sw, depending on what happens when you flip the Type-c device 180 degrees and reinsert it back in the Type-c port.
  6. 2 x Type-A Asmedia PXSX ports (red tang, above Type-C port) with connector type - USB3
So while you made some in roads towards getting your USBPorts.kext fixed, you are still a bit short and need to make a few changes to get it correct.

Your Asmedia PXSX controller is fine, as there are only 6 ports and no where near the 15 port limit.
  • Saying that the screenshot you posted above shows 8 ports against the PXSX controller, this is not correct.
  • There is a maximum of 6 ports on the Asmedia controller.
  • 2 of these ports, my guess would be the PRTx ports, are not real ports but hubs, which you don't want to include.
The Intel XHC controller has a maximum of 20 USB ports. To keep within the 15 port limit per USB Controller you need to drop 5 ports in your setup.
  • 2 ports are already discounted as you are currently only using one of the USB2 headers.
  • This may change if you add an Apple compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card, as the BT module will require a USB connection to the spare USB header.
You currently need to drop another 3 ports to remain within the 15 port limit.
  • You don't have any Type-c ports shown against the XHC controller.
  • Does your case not have a Type-c port on the Front, which would normally be connected to the Type-c header.
  • If this header is not used then this is another 2 ports you can discount.
The screenshot you posted above only shows 15 ports against the XHC controller but I don't know which other port you will have dropped from your setup to get to this figure.

The table shows the different USB connector types, ignore Type 8 as that port type is only seen on phones.

USB port types - Decimal format.png

These are the connector types available in Hackintool when creating your USBPorts.kext:

Connector Type options.png

These marry up as follows:
  • USB2 - Type 0
  • USB3 - Type 3
  • TypeC+sw - Type 9
  • TypeC - Type 10
  • Internal - Type 255
You need to confirm if your Type-C ports are Type 9 or 10.

You should have the following in your USBPorts.kext:
  1. Maximum of 2 x USB2 ports set with connector Type - USB2
  2. maximum of 4 x USB2 front case ports set with connector Type - Internal, assuming only one of the internal USB2 headers is in use this is reduced to 2 active ports.
  3. Maximum of 2 x Type-C ports from the internal header (possibly serving case front port), these should have the connector type - Type-c or Type-c+sw.
  4. 12 x USB3 ports (6 x Phyiscal USB3 ports and 6 x USB2 virtual ports) from the four blue ports on the rear I/O and the internal motherboard header. All should be set with connector type - USB3
  5. 2 x USB Type-c ports from rear Type-c port Asmedia PXSX ports, set with connector Type - Type-c or Type-c+sw, depending on what happens when you flip the Type-c device 180 degrees and reinsert it back in the Type-c port.
  6. 2 x Type-A Asmedia PXSX ports (red tang, above Type-C port) with connector type - USB3
So while you made some in roads towards getting your USBPorts.kext fixed, you are still a bit short and need to make a few changes to get it correct.

Your Asmedia PXSX controller is fine, as there are only 6 ports and no where near the 15 port limit.
  • Saying that the screenshot you posted above shows 8 ports against the PXSX controller, this is not correct.
  • There is a maximum of 6 ports on the Asmedia controller.
  • 2 of these ports, my guess would be the PRTx ports, are not real ports but hubs, which you don't want to include.
The Intel XHC controller has a maximum of 20 USB ports. To keep within the 15 port limit per USB Controller you need to drop 5 ports in your setup.
  • 2 ports are already discounted as you are currently only using one of the USB2 headers.
  • This may change if you add an Apple compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card, as the BT module will require a USB connection to the spare USB header.
You currently need to drop another 3 ports to remain within the 15 port limit.
  • You don't have any Type-c ports shown against the XHC controller.
  • Does your case not have a Type-c port on the Front, which would normally be connected to the Type-c header.
  • If this header is not used then this is another 2 ports you can discount.
The screenshot you posted above only shows 15 ports against the XHC controller but I don't know which other port you will have dropped from your setup to get to this figure.

The table shows the different USB connector types, ignore Type 8 as that port type is only seen on phones.

View attachment 542191

These are the connector types available in Hackintool when creating your USBPorts.kext:

View attachment 542192

These marry up as follows:
  • USB2 - Type 0
  • USB3 - Type 3
  • TypeC+sw - Type 9
  • TypeC - Type 10
  • Internal - Type 255
You need to confirm if your Type-C ports are Type 9 or 10.
Good morning,
considering that the only USB-C type of connector I have is the one on the rear of my MB, controlled by ASMedia, I have following 15 XHC ports:
8 ports for the 4 USB3 connectors on the back (4xUSB2, 4xUSB3)
2 ports for the 2 USB2 connectors on the back (2xUSB2)
Then I have 4 additional connectors on the front panel of my Case which are 2xUSB2 which are connected to one of the 2 USB2 header on the MB and 2 USB3 that are connected to the USB3 header. That means they should be 6 more ports, so I decided to drop 1 USB2 port on one of the 2 USB3 connectors, so I have following
2 ports for the 2 USB2 connectors (2xUSB2)
3 ports for the 2 USB3 connectors (2xUSB3, 1xUSB2)
So at the end I decided that 1 usb3 connector on the front panel will accept only usb3 devices.
Since I want that my devices connected to the front USBs are seen as external(that's where I plug my USB stick for plugin licences), I didn't set them as internal.
Regarding the Asmedia controller I see on Hackintool 8 ports, so 4 ports per controller (matching the ID and the address ID, 0x00 and 0x01). 1 controller is controlling the red USB-C and the red USB on the back of the MB and the other is controlling, I suppose, the USB-C header, which is in my case not connected to anything.
Considering that what I just wrote, is it still wrong how I set up USBports.kext?
Thanks

Since I want that my devices connected to the front USBs are seen as external(that's where I plug my USB stick for plugin licences), I didn't set them as internal.
This is where you are going wrong.

Hackintool uses the term 'Internal' for the USB2 header ports, it could just as easily use the number '255'. Do not get fixed up on the fact Hackintool uses the term 'Internal' it doesn't mean the device connected to the port(s) are seen as internally mounted devices.

Setting the USB2 case front ports as 'Internal' is the only way these ports will function correctly in macOS.

A USB Device will be seen as an external device when plugged in to one of these USB ports served by the motherboard Header.

Just set these two ports as Internal in Hackintool.

Hello,
I set now the ports on the front panel as internal, but if I plug an external drive to one of these ports, Disk Utility will see this device as internal disk. While when I had set them as USB2/USB3 Disk Utility was seeing them as External.
So now to tell you the truth I start to be ca little confused as you stated that setting them as internal will recognise them as external.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 08.05.50.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 08.05.50.png
    217.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 08.05.44.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 08.05.44.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 08.02.29.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 08.02.29.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 35
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 28
I didn't say to set the USB3 header ports as internal. Just the USB2 header ports need to be set as internal!

This is a quirk in how macOS deals with header ports.

Change the 4 x USB3 header ports (HS11, HS12, SS01 and SS02) back to USB3.

I didn't say to set the USB3 header ports as internal. Just the USB2 header ports need to be set as internal!

This is a quirk in how macOS deals with header ports.

Change the 4 x USB3 header ports (HS11, HS12, SS01 and SS02) back to USB3.
HS11 and HS12 are the only USB ports coming from the USB2 Header, these should be Internal.
SS01, SS02 should be set as USB3, while HS01 shouldn't be USB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back