RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing random USB problems after doing the Sonoma 14.4 update? I completely re-mapped my USB ports last fall when Sonoma 14.0 was released and @Edhawk was kind enough to verify my new map's integrity. No problems after that until I updated to 14.4 last week. Now it seems some USB device or another fails at random after cold startups: one day it was my Realtek USB audio, the next that was fine but my (wired) mouse wasn't working.

Doing a quick restart after each occurrence solved both problems, but they never happened before the Sonoma 14.4 update.

Sometimes that is the curse of being an early adopter for a macOS release. You are the person to find out that something has been broken by Apple's latest update.

You may need to undertake the USB discovery and USBPorts.kext creation, in macOS Sonoma 14,4. So the ports are correctly identified by the OS.

Sometimes that is the curse of being an early adopter for a macOS release. You are the person to find out that something has been broken by Apple's latest update.

You may need to undertake the USB discovery and USBPorts.kext creation, in macOS Sonoma 14,4. So the ports are correctly identified by the OS.
Thanks; I was kind of thinking the same. I'll give it a few more cold boots over the next week and see if the problem persists.

Keep an eye on the Apple update releases, as they may push 14.4.1 out quickly if this is impacting real Macs.

I saw this on Mac Rumors. Something in 14.4 is causing an issue with USB hubs.

There is a suggestion in the article to change a security setting

While Apple works on a fix, a handful of users have had some success by changing the setting "Allow accessories to connect" to "Ask for new accessories" under the Security section of System Settings ➝ Privacy & Security.

Back