i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

I was hoping that USB4 type C would be a simpler to understand version, but it's not. :O

Here's an example:

“Once the specifications are released, there will be a new round of confusion, it’s going to be USB4, but you have to qualify what USB4 means, because there are different grades. USB4, by definition, has to be [at least] Gen 2×2, so it will give you 10 Gbps by 2, that’s 20 Gbps. There’s going to be USB4 Gen 3×2, which is 20 Gbps per lane. 20 by 2 will give you 40 Gbps.”

Why Apple still uses Lightning on iPhones

"It’s similar in size to a USB-C connector, but it’s proprietary. Apple makes its own Lightning cables, but other manufacturers can also make them. There’s just one catch: Apple has to certify the cables and provide a special hardware chip that lets them work. Unlike with USB, manufacturers can’t make flakey cables that appear to work but have problems. Apple has a veto thanks to MFi certification."

There’s also just one type of Lightning cable. There aren’t different “modes” that can exist on a Lightning cable and confusingly named generations like “Lightning 3.2 Gen 2×2” and “Lightning4.”

Last edited:
@trs96,

It does make you wonder about the members of the USB Federation who dream up these specifications ...
They are clearly not from earth .... ;) ;)

Cheers
Jay

Im wondering with USB4 at 40gb/s what the purpose of TB3 becomes for single devices. I can see using a Dock with TB3 still but I wonder what are the chances my UAD Apollo becomes compatible to USB4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back