Contribute
Register

USB Boot stuck on progress bar but same EFI on SSD ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(BTW - my OC v0.6.1 not v0.6.6 as originally posted sorry guys).

I created a brand new USB boot and again copied the 6.1 install from the hard drive. No change but a clean start. I left the HDD 6.1 boot alone since it was working. I turned off HideAuxilliary, used the Built-in Picker instead of External. I also turned off a bunch of SATA entries in the bios and checked the boot order to look for the USB first. Now, as long as I manually select the boot device as the USB - it will boot into 0.6.1 and my existing Catalina install. Whew! I cannot say I really understand why at this point but I'm happy finally having something consistent and a "failsafe". Now to put that aside and on to upgrading the actual/live OC. I think its time to go through this config line by line (*tedious*) as I'm sure the excitement of a working config initially a year ago caused me to "just leave it the hell alone" and use it lol. I suspect there's plenty could be cleaned-up in there (I've already found stuff after looking at the notes for 0.7.5). I suspect that's better posted as a new thread?

That seems like the CSM compatibility is set in the BIOS/Firmware the default boot you are getting with it doing the booting uses that, when selected by the boot menu you are picking the EFI entry and it boots successfully. Check around in there and see if I am correct on my assumption, set it for EFI only booting. And damn you are a ways back in the versions. If going through all that effort get a program like DiffMerge and compare your working old with the 0.7.5 sample.plist to see the differences. You will need to do a clear NVRAM for certain as a change in that period of time required it when changing from the bootstrap method to an EFI application I think it was, if memory serves me well.

CSM setting in BIOS set to "Disabled".
Yeah, way behind lol. First time I've looked at it since initial build - it's been extremely stable - on 24x7 for a year with the exception of a few power cuts and a few intentional shut-downs but very few. I'm slowly making my way through all the changes to OC since 0.6.1 to 0.7.5. The biggest so far is the change to the bootstrap process. While I had checked multiple times the 3 base OC files, I realised I still had the Bootstrap folder/file. I removed those and followed instructions to set Misc\Boot\LauncherOption to "Full". That's at least stopped the BootImage error. O n to the next.

That is the way to do it, go slowly with a few changes at a time test the new and see how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back