Contribute
Register

USB 3.1 type A works full 10Gbps speeds, but USB-c on 480Mbps only (2.0 speed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
VEGA 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I have sierra installed on Gigabyte Z270Mx and everything seems to work now except the USB-c port. The Red port USB 3.1 above that port works on full USB 3.1 speed, but the "C" type does not (it shows 480Mbps and also I can test the speeds as USB 2.0 speeds only.
I ordered USB c card with two USB-c ports on it and added that to my build to test the USB-C this way, but same result. Just USB 2.0 speed.
What is the difference between USB 3.1 type A and type C? How do I enable full speeds on the USB type C ports? Thanks.

I ordered USB c card with two USB-c ports on it ... Just USB 2.0 speed.
What is the difference between USB 3.1 type A and type C?

Chances are that the controller chip on the card isn't supported.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...its-way-alongside-usb-3-1s-10gbit-performance

USB "PD" means "Power Delivery":

• The USB Power Delivery Chipset automatically detects the connected device, whether it’s a small phone or a large laptop. It then delivers the exact power required for fastest possible charging, but not too much which could damage circuitry.
http://www.belkin.com/us/Resource-Center/power-delivery/

Hello, I have sierra installed on Gigabyte Z270Mx and everything seems to work now except the USB-c port. The Red port USB 3.1 above that port works on full USB 3.1 speed, but the "C" type does not (it shows 480Mbps and also I can test the speeds as USB 2.0 speeds only.
I ordered USB c card with two USB-c ports on it and added that to my build to test the USB-C this way, but same result. Just USB 2.0 speed.
What is the difference between USB 3.1 type A and type C? How do I enable full speeds on the USB type C ports? Thanks.
I have this same issue! I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and a Hackintosh. With the MBP I have a TB3 expansion device that has USB-3.0 Ports. My external USB-C RAID shows up as 5G/sec in "About this Mac" when plugged into USB 3.0 on both my MBP and my Hackintosh when I use USB directly through the MBP ports or the TB-3 pass through on my expansion chassis, it shows up under "About this Mac" as a USB-3.1 device at 480Mbps. I suspect this is a Mac driver -- USB issue. I am actively trying to sort this out and my google search brought me here. I have read other issues with OS-X and USB issues also. If I find anything out I will post a follow up.

Jules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back