Graphics
None
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ive read that only certain parts will work for USB 3.0. I want to have the option for USB 3.0 but i dont what parts will work. So waht do i have to buy for USB 3.0 to work.

Your best bet is picking up any one of the Asus or Gigabyte Z77 ivy bridge boards because the USB3 on those boards are controlled by the Intel chipset instead of a third party controller. I know some people have got it working with USB2.0 devices on the USB3.0 ports.

When Apple starts rolling out Ivy Bridge based iMacs you will have a much greater chance of getting the USB3 working because those to will be using the intel controller.

I plan on upgrading my system to the ivy bridge platform but not until ivy bridge rolls out for the iMacs and obviously wait until the ivy bridge processors are released.

eosman said:
Your best bet is picking up any one of the Asus or Gigabyte Z77 ivy bridge boards because the USB3 on those boards are controlled by the Intel chipset instead of a third party controller. I know some people have got it working with USB2.0 devices on the USB3.0 ports.

When Apple starts rolling out Ivy Bridge based iMacs you will have a much greater chance of getting the USB3 working because those to will be using the intel controller.

I plan on upgrading my system to the ivy bridge platform but not until ivy bridge rolls out for the iMacs and obviously wait until the ivy bridge processors are released.

I'm on my way to buy the components to my hackintosh, should I buy a Z68 or roll the dice with a z77? I would like to have USB 3.0

I'm not trying to steal the thread but the subject of my question was almost covered.
I have 2 USB 3.0 external ports on my motherboard that work OK.
I have an add-on with multi-memory card reader, with 3 USB 3.0 ports, with 1 eSATA device[fits in front panel with 3.5" adapter] The install instructions said to connect the included USB 3.0 cable [one end is different than 2.0 cable] to my exterior USB 3.0 ports or an interior port. I didn't have an interior port so it is connected to 1 of my 2 USB 3.0 external ports.

The device works fine with USB 2.0 devices [at the 2.0 speed of course] It does not see any USB 3.0 device connected to the front panel with OSX 10.7.2. Windows 7 works correectly though.
Do I have to wait until apple adds full USB 3.0 support or is there a way to make these front panel USB 3.0 ports work correctly?
I do not plan to upgrade my motherboard.

Does this apply to my configuration:
LaCie's driver is working only on specific LaCie devices. Luckily, we've been tipped off to a patched version of the kext, which enables any USB 3.0 device. Available in the latest MultiBeast.
Is that patched version still in Multibeast [Lion]?

This is the USB 3.0 report of my PC

USB Super-Speed Bus
USB 2.0 Hub
4-Port USB 3.0 Hub:

USB2.0 Hub:

Product ID: 0x3431
Vendor ID: 0x2109 (VIA Labs, Inc.)
Version: 2.76
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x00300000 / 3
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100