Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 Not working. Recognized in System Profiler but drive will not mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all. I am having an issue with my USB 3.0. When I plug a drive in, System Profiler recognizes it, but the drive does not show up in Disk Utility and will not mount. Can anyone offer me any advice on what to do?

What USB3.0 device are you using and which chipset? If it is a PCIe card using the Rensas / NEC chipset and you used the kext in the latest MultiBeast version, then you are in luck! Sort of... The USB3.0 thingy happened since the release of ML DP4. If you replace IOUSBFamily.kext & IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext with the ML DP3 versions, in most cases (in mine anyway) USB3.0 works and the drive will mount. Not too sure why this is. But for now, that is a temporary sulution that has had positive results - for me anyway. Don't use the Lion versions. They work too, but Consol logs many errors meaning they are not 100% stable / compatible. You can find them on OSX86.net. If not.. give me a shout!

Based on the spec page from my Mobo its the Etron EJ168 chipset. Not sure if that is supported or not.

Well that info would have been useful to post. In any case i have no idea then. The Etron controllers on my board always worked with the USB 3.0 driver in multibeast. They are a bit sketchy as far as getting most devices to connect reliably. I suggest not plugging them in during boot, and plugging them in sometimes multiple times shortly after boot trying different ports until it mounts.
g\

This issue has already been talked about many times. Please use search better.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...c-renesas-usb-3-0-drivers-not-working-ml.html

I can't for the life of me get the NEC driver to work in ML. I installed the MultiBeast kext, enabled xHCI handoff in the bios. I have purchased two separate USB3 card readers (one Kingston and one Realtek-based). I even installed an Asmedia1042 based PCIX1 card... All of the results are the same. The ports and readers are recognized in system profiler, but the readers are listed with a max speed of 480, and cards don't mount when they are inserted. I tried the DP3 workaround, and it resulted in a hang on boot, and I had to revert.

Anyone with functional USB3 card reader on ML, please chime in!

I have the same problem anybody got a fix?

In case anyone missed it...
Multibeast 5 has a new, caldigit based USB 3.0 driver for us non-intel USB 3.0 people. And so far its is working amazingly well with my etron based motherboard. So much better than the old lacie based driver. First of all i have put back the original 10.8 USB drivers. The new USB 3.0 driver in multibeast works just fine with them. Second of all, whereas with the old driver i used to struggle to get multiple devices plugged in at once, or sometimes have to reboot to get ports working, this new driver seems to work flawlessly so far. No more connection issues, no more disconnects, no more struggle to get all 4 ports working at once. simply awesome.
g\

In case anyone missed it...
Multibeast 5 has a new, caldigit based USB 3.0 driver for us non-intel USB 3.0 people. And so far its is working amazingly well with my etron based motherboard. So much better than the old lacie based driver. First of all i have put back the original 10.8 USB drivers. The new USB 3.0 driver in multibeast works just fine with them. Second of all, whereas with the old driver i used to struggle to get multiple devices plugged in at once, or sometimes have to reboot to get ports working, this new driver seems to work flawlessly so far. No more connection issues, no more disconnects, no more struggle to get all 4 ports working at once. simply awesome.
g\

Awesome. I hope I contributed to the effort. The caldigit driver has been working well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back