Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 not working after 10.8.5 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my post here for downloading the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and the Kext Utility (step #6). Using the Kext Utility, you just drag & drop the GenericUSBXHCI.kext onto the Kext Utility window. Simple. :thumbup:
Tried that, but it would stop working on reboot... I found this tip on another forum and tried it and so far it is working well...

Okay here is a fix for Intel Z77-/X79-chipset suggested by Zenith432 the mastermind behind GenericUSBXHCI.kext;

I uploaded v1.2.5 that works on both OS 10.8.5 and 10.9. It is functionally the same as 1.2.5d5.

For Intel Series 7 chipsets (Z77, X79, etc), you should use "-gux_defer_usb2" kernel flag, as the bios sometimes causes conflicts. This was mentioned several times in the thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/page-14#entry1945329

so add
Code:
-gux_defer_usb2
as kernel flags and voila your ready. It worked for my Z77 + Clover Bootloader system.

all usb 3.0 ports stopped working after os x update 10.8.5
even after reinstall usb 3.0 universal from MultiBeast
anybody got any clue?

Thanks

Motherboard: ga-z77-ds3h

I have the same motherboard. i updated to 10.8.5 from 10.8.4

Killed my usb 3.0 anyway of getting it back?

My Z77-UD3H's USB3 ports are dead after the 10.8.5 update too. Just tried the GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.6d1 kext and still no joy. Have not tried the kernel flag tip from earlier in the thread, but that seems to just make the ports USB2 unless I missed something.....

My Z77-UD3H's USB3 ports are dead after the 10.8.5 update too. Just tried the GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.6d1 kext and still no joy. Have not tried the kernel flag tip from earlier in the thread, but that seems to just make the ports USB2 unless I missed something.....

try deleting the GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.6d1 worked for me without one and I have the same motherboard as you

<< Demonknight: try deleting the GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.6d1 worked for me without one and I have the same motherboard as you >>

Thx: Did try that -- plugging into the USB 3 port with a printer hung the system cold, had to restart to unfreeze. Not sure if my Ivy Bridge CPU has a role in this or not. Just now tried the kernel flag tip with the Generic 1.2.6 kext and that did nothing. That tip may require the native Apple kext, not sure.

<< Demonknight: try deleting the GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.6d1 worked for me without one and I have the same motherboard as you >>

Thx: Did try that -- plugging into the USB 3 port with a printer hung the system cold, had to restart to unfreeze. Not sure if my Ivy Bridge CPU has a role in this or not. Just now tried the kernel flag tip with the Generic 1.2.6 kext and that did nothing. That tip may require the native Apple kext, not sure.

I don't know why mine is working. Maybe installing the kext from a previous multibeast is what did it? I really don't know, all I know is that I installed this latest kext and USB 2.0 was fine, but USB 3.0 did not work. removing the kext made both work at the normal speeds but it still says in console that USBMSC Identifier (non-unique)

@demonknight -- so exactly which USB kext(s) are you using now that work? Anyway to tell? -- maybe just listing the various IDs from sys profiler will give me enough to go on....

USB 3.0 now working after 10.8.5 update

OK, all seems to be well. I just received an Anker USB3 SSD case, and the system recognizes it and reads it. I'm not sure about transfer rate yet. It's clear that only USB3 devices can be used on the SuperSpeed ports, and that's OK for me. Sleep is also fine (with Please Sleep). So the GenericUSBXHCI kext 1.2.6d1 is fine on this Z77-UD3H. Sorry if anyone was mis-led or confused by my earlier posts of USB3 not working, but I thought those ports would work with USB2 devices....

Thank you Stork my usb 3 return to work I have 10,8,5 last update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back