Contribute
Register

Upgrading...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in regards to updating....I cloned my working drive, booted into it, downloaded installer, and started it. Now it is sitting about half way done saying about 0 seconds remaining and has for a while. I'll let it run over night and see what happens. It is installing to a usb 3.0 drive so maybe it just needs time.

I wasnt able to successfully boot into the installer. It took a long time to boot and got stuck to the grey beach ball loading screen. I will be troubleshooting it later when i find the time. Most likely has something to do with my graphics card.

I did a clean install on my test rig all went ok apart from audio but managed to get that working, iMsg/F-Time et etc all workingView attachment 202258
What audio do you have and how did you get it working? I have the Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 and cannot get audio working. That is my only stumbling block. It has ALC1150 audio and the normal El Capitan stuff has not worked.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did a clean install on my test rig all went ok apart from audio but managed to get that working, iMsg/F-Time et etc all working
hi esafeddie, did you download Sierra an installing over El Capitan from the App Store? Nothing more?

well so much for that thread LOL. It has turned into a general "How did you get that working?" thread.

I tried to upgrade directly from the App Store method, but encountered errors that I could not get past. Namely, the installation would crash and I would get the No Pass circle.

I ended up going with the USB method and that worked. Clover 35xx did not work, so had to utilize Clover 3602.. My biggest challenge was in getting the GTX 960 card recognized and working with my dual 4K monitors. What it ended up being was a corrupt NVIDIA installation. I had to remove all of the NVIDIA web drivers completely and start from scratch. That ended up doing the trick. Have full resolution on both monitors @60Hz.

The last few activities I have to work through are:
1. Enabling the USB ports correctly and,
2. Getting sound to work.

Sound is the least of my worries as I use Bluetooth to stream audio through my stereo system.

Has anyone tested just running the install file from El Capitan and seeing how it goes? It looks like some people are going new install which I have no problem with, but I wonder how easy the upgrade would be.

Scary...LOL

It runs just fine, as long as you have the newer version of clover already on your hard drive. I did an in place upgrade straight to beta2 from El Capitan with Clover 3650 pre-installed (kexts = fakesmc + intel1000e). To complete the install on the reboot you have to toggle clover over to "Install" boot option, instead of booting the default root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back