Radon RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For about 5 years or so, I've been running a Hackintosh through various iterations of OS X. I started off with Lion, and I'm now running Sierra. I've updated minor things over the years (larger SSD, larger data HDD, Blu-ray drive), but I'm getting the itch to pull the trigger on a new system. Before I do so, I want to ask with what success people have had with this board.

Here is my proposed system:

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
Intel Core i7-6700K
Corsair Hydro Series H75
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Plextor M8Pe M.2 2280 512GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x 4 MLC Internal SSD

For now, I'm gong to using my current power supply, case, and GPU (eVGA GTX 570). I'm looking at picking up a GTX 1070, but I don't see a whole lot out there on the Hackintosh forums in regards to how well it works. For how old it is, the 570 has held up pretty well, as I'm not a heavy gamer anymore.

Pretty much all I've selected is listed in Tony's Buyer's guide. The one thing I don't know about is the M.2 SSD. Some of the initial threads I've seen in regards to having issues with the M.2 drives are two years old or older with the Z97 boards. I know Apple now uses M.2 drives in it's genuine Macbook Pros, so I'm hoping that support is built into Sierra now.

Also, although initially I used Multibeast, after the issues started popping up with iMessage, I moved to Clover. I'll probably want to stay there, as it's a faster and cleaner install, especially when it comes to updates.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Not running Sierra, or not going to run Sierra?

I had problems getting a Pioneer BD drive to work under El Cap and Sierra, to the point that I just returned it. I wanted it to archive data instead of relying on HD storage, just as I do with DVD media.

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5: Do you need two NIC ports? One will be Qualcomm, the other will be Intel. Do you know if one or the other can be disabled in the BIOS?

Not running Sierra, or not going to run Sierra?

I had problems getting a Pioneer BD drive to work under El Cap and Sierra, to the point that I just returned it. I wanted it to archive data instead of relying on HD storage, just as I do with DVD media.

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5: Do you need two NIC ports? One will be Qualcomm, the other will be Intel. Do you know if one or the other can be disabled in the BIOS?

Fat Fingered my typing. I am "now" running Sierra.

I haven't had any issues with my Bluray drive. I use in namely to rip discs for my media server. I haven't actually tried to burn Blurays yet, so I can't speak to that.

I don't need two NICs. Currently I'm running WiFi 802.11ac natively with handoff. That PCI card will be transferred to the new build. On my current Gigabyte board, you can disable onboard NICs, Firewire, etc, so I don't anticipate this one being any different.

My main concern is the M.2 drive. I haven't seen any posts specifically about the Z107 boards and M.2, nor any M.2 posts since Sierra was fully released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back