Contribute
Register

"upgrading" my current laptop - feasible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I got a Compaq CQ56 a few months ago as an emergency replacement for my dead mid-2007 MacBook. Now that I'm finally getting an iMac, I'm tempted to make my laptop into a Lion hackintosh to match. Specs are as follows:

CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz
Motherboard: HP G56
Graphics: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset

The graphics card seems bound either not to work or to work very poorly, so I thought of replacing it with the Intel GMA 950 from my old MacBook. I'm not sure about the following point, but I imagine this would require a new processor and motherboard as well? In which case I'd take ones listed as compatible on the osx86project.org wiki.

Being a bit of a n00b, however, I don't know if simply "swapping out" the components is doable or even advisable! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Other than possibly swapping out a processor, memory, and maybe a wifi card, most other parts in a current laptops are usually embedded (or integrated) into the main board.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I feared that there might be some physical limitations -- it seems that as far as graphics go, the Intel GMA 950 is integrated into the motherboard. My current one is probably as well, but I haven't been able to verify it yet.

Back to the drawing board. Is it a lost cause, or does anyone perhaps see a way to make it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back