Contribute
Register

Upgrading my 2014 build to Catalina - is it really as simple as it seems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97 UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600 Integrated
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone. In 2014 I put together my current setup, currently running Yosemite (I'm 99% sure its Chimera and will have to switch to Clover). Over the years, I've done literally nothing to the computer and I feel like all of my hackintosh knowledge that I amassed over the years has left my brain.

I want to update my computer to Catalina (and eventually Big Sur), but just not sure if I'm missing something or going about it the wrong way.

Is it really now just as simple as using CCC to copy data from my primary SSD to the blank SSD in my computer and then following the steps in the guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/

I've been trying to read-up as much as I can but feeling a little overwhelmed and worried that I'm missing something here.

Thanks!

Hi everyone. In 2014 I put together my current setup, currently running Yosemite (I'm 99% sure its Chimera and will have to switch to Clover). Over the years, I've done literally nothing to the computer and I feel like all of my hackintosh knowledge that I amassed over the years has left my brain.

I want to update my computer to Catalina (and eventually Big Sur), but just not sure if I'm missing something or going about it the wrong way.

Is it really now just as simple as using CCC to copy data from my primary SSD to the blank SSD in my computer and then following the steps in the guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/

I've been trying to read-up as much as I can but feeling a little overwhelmed and worried that I'm missing something here.

Thanks!
Whether you might have (serious) problems will depend on the hardware you have. It can be as simple as described or you may have serious problems.

I was able to boot directly to the Catalina installation program using the Catalina Unibeast USB stick (as created with no modifications) on an Ivy Bridge system using a B75 motherboard / i3 CPU / GTX 650 Ti. But on my Coffee Lake systems (first and second systems listed on my signature below) I had to make extensive modifications to the USB stick (adding drivers and changing config.plist) before I was able to boot to the installation program with the stick.

So you will just have to try and see for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back