CPU
i3-2105
Graphics
EVGA GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been watching used cpu prices on Ebay and the Ivy Bridge quad-core i5s are now under $100 so I'm considering upgrading from the i3-2105 the system was built around. I ran across a strange comment that z68 motherboards like mine don't like "7 series" processors, by which I believe they meant i7 cpus. This made me wonder if there are technical considerations I'm not aware of.

I'm considering an i5-3570k with HD4000 since the few times I've had gpu issues, I could always fall back to the HD 3000 native to the i3. What I'm wondering is if there are any concerns/constraints I should be aware of under Sierra when looking for an upgrade? Any reason the 3570k wouldn't work for my GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 build?

Thanks

I've been watching used cpu prices on Ebay and the Ivy Bridge quad-core i5s are now under $100 so I'm considering upgrading from the i3-2105 the system was built around. I ran across a strange comment that z68 motherboards like mine don't like "7 series" processors, by which I believe they meant i7 cpus. This made me wonder if there are technical considerations I'm not aware of.

I'm considering an i5-3570k with HD4000 since the few times I've had gpu issues, I could always fall back to the HD 3000 native to the i3. What I'm wondering is if there are any concerns/constraints I should be aware of under Sierra when looking for an upgrade? Any reason the 3570k wouldn't work for my GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 build?

Thanks

If your planning on upgrading to Ivybridge then i recommend buying a Series 7 Motherboard. Only because its not a good idea to have mixed configurations when running OS X/macOS.

So that's what it means with series 6/7? Sandy Bridge is a 6 and Ivy Bridge is a 7? But don't both series use the 1155 socket? I thought it was the socket that was the ultimate decider. So is it a Hackintosh thing that prefers the mobo/cpu series match?

Thanks for the response.

So that's what it means with series 6/7? Sandy Bridge is a 6 and Ivy Bridge is a 7? But don't both series use the 1155 socket? I thought it was the socket that was the ultimate decider. So is it a Hackintosh thing that prefers the mobo/cpu series match?

It refers to the motherboard chipset not the CPU socket.

Thanks for the response.

Series 6 motherboards will support Series 7 CPUs with a BIOS update but not a good idea to have mixed configurations when running OS X/macOS will require more work to get up and running with Intel HD Graphics and Powermanagement. Don't see no point in it anyway no Mac has ever had mixed configurations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back